Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
We hatched ours from shipped eggs.(Honestly it was the only way we could afford to get some.) The PO scrambled most eggs, but one lucky girl hatched. When she was younger I thought for sure she was male because she had a pink comb. It was quite small, though. Thankfully, I sent pics to the breeder who let me know that she was a pullet.

Here she was at 9 weeks.

One down side of having the larger birds is that they take a long time to mature. My EEs start laying 18-22 weeks old. The Coro Sussex took 8 months! Some of my English Orps took 9 months before I got that 1st egg.

I have two coro sussex hens and a roo and have noticed their eggs are small despite being such a large breed. They started off laying bantam sized eggs and now after their second season are longer but still only weigh in around 50grams, my isa brown/ mix breed lays eggs almost double the size up to 85grams and she is tiny compared to the coro hens! I now have 14 pure coro eggs in the incubator for last 7 days which I 'll candle tonight so fingers crossed! I live in Hunter Valley NSW Australia if anyone is interested :)

I am way too much of a newbie to dare to incubate! Is your breeder on the internet? Good to know about the wait for eggs. I mainly want one for a pet--my production red and rocks are great layers and my buff orping
ton is just the sweetest!

I have two coro sussex hens and a roo and have noticed their eggs are small despite being such a large breed. They started off laying bantam sized eggs and now after their second season are longer but still only weigh in around 50grams, my isa brown/ mix breed lays eggs almost double the size up to 85grams and she is tiny compared to the coro hens! I now have 14 pure coro eggs in the incubator for last 7 days which I 'll candle tonight so fingers crossed! I live in Hunter Valley NSW Australia if anyone is interested :)
Their eggs really are small for as big of birds as they are. The eggs are large size, but the birds are so huge, you'd think the eggs would be super-huge!

Their eggs really are small for as big of birds as they are. The eggs are large size, but the birds are so huge, you'd think the eggs would be super-huge!
You would expect big eggs, I have learnt to just weigh the eggs when using in recipes as it can make a ton of difference between using two 85gram eggs or 50grammers in a cake (soggy mess that never cooks through!)
I am way too much of a newbie to dare to incubate! Is your breeder on the internet? Good to know about the wait for eggs. I mainly want one for a pet--my production red and rocks are great layers and my buff orping
ton is just the sweetest!
I don't have an internet site, my birds are ones I hatched from eggs, a gift from a client at work who has chickens he breeds and shows. Now i'm attempting to hatch my original chicks eggs! Incubating is really interesting but can be frustrating and heartbreaking at times-it really is an addiction as some people refer to in a thread 'incubators anonymous'! I've hatched a few and still learning from trial and error but it is so exciting when the little chicks burst out of the eggs!

Last edited:
Good news about my incubating eggs, 10 of the 14 have bouncy little embryos growing, I'm suprised by the thickness and amount of blood vessels pumping into the little things which i hope is a sign of healthy chicks! Of the 4 duds two were infertile, one died very early on as there was no blood but a seperated yolk sac and the other died around day 2 or 3 blood ring. As a side note I was lucky enough to catch an episode of an Aussie show 'gourmet farmer' he is a farmer who is setting up a farm where people can go to have a paddock to plate experience. By sheer coincidence last night he taste tested different home grown free ranged chickens against the commercial supermarket chooks. In blind taste tests the free range sussex won for flavour and texture, but they found the english game and Australorp were also more flavoursome than the supermarket one! It confirms the early post with the book extract that sussex meat is fit for a king!

Hi All, so glad to have found this thread, I have 3 coronation sussex in my incubator and cannot wait for them to hatch! They are so pretty, and now that I have read about how good natured they are, I think I may try to keep any that are roosters also. (I'm also hatching Creme Legbar and Swedish Flower.) They are all due to hatch on April 28, I am sure I will post pics to get guesses on gender!

Hi All, I am also a big coro fan. I have just hatched 9 mixed sussex chicks which inclede 4 coronations. I am just a small time poultry owner and have 6 orpington hens and i was going to keep the hens of the coronation sussex and sell the the rest of the bunch at our local poultry show. lol they are so cute, ill probably keep them all. I am definetly going to breed more coros, they are beautiful and the chicks seem very sociable compared to the light and buff chicks i have.
love.gif
i look forward to seeing more pics and posting some myself.

Back
Top Bottom