Coronation Sussex Thread!

I finally managed to get ahold of some gorgeous Coronation Sussex hatching eggs from a breeder in Missouri. Can't wait to get them in the incubator!

You have all the birds I want!! I have been wanting some Coronarion Sussex for a couple of years but can't see paying upwards of $100 for a pullet, plus they're so hard to find. Anyway we're trying to buy a house outside the city limits so I'll be able to have roosters and if that works out I plan on hatching some eggs next fall or spring, if I can find them. You'll have to let me know how you like them and hopefully you will keep them so later on down the road we could trade some eggs etc. Btw I'm not stalking you I promise. You just happen to be in all the threads I like.

You have all the birds I want!! I have been wanting some Coronarion Sussex for a couple of years but can't see paying upwards of $100 for a pullet, plus they're so hard to find. Anyway we're trying to buy a house outside the city limits so I'll be able to have roosters and if that works out I plan on hatching some eggs next fall or spring, if I can find them. You'll have to let me know how you like them and hopefully you will keep them so later on down the road we could trade some eggs etc. Btw I'm not stalking you I promise. You just happen to be in all the threads I like.
Lol! I'm hoping the eggs do well. I'm down to 4 out of 11 still developing, so I'm praying they make it to lockdown and hatch. I plan on getting another dozen or two from different lines sometime this summer. My incubators have been running non stop since last summer, so I have to try to schedule arrivals around lockdowns, that way I don't end up with more eggs than I have room. I just about went nuts when that last storm came through and had the generator on standby just incase. I just set a clutch of Malay and Serama eggs and would be heartbroken if I lost them. Hatching eggs is my cardiovascular workout.
1f61b.png
We're working on getting the breeder pens reconfigured, once that's done I'll have several breeds going and will hopefully have eggs available by late spring.

Last edited:
His name is Patrick Popplewell out of Butler, MO. Here's his email address [email protected]
Unfortunately I only had 1 hatch of the 4 that made it to lockdown. By the looks of the air cells I'd say they took a pretty good beating in transit, so I wasn't expecting too much. The one that did hatch is doing wonderfully and is a beautiful little chick. Very friendly, the first to come running when I come onto the brooder room to check on them.
Looking at the wings, it appears she's a pullet. I've been in contact with another breeder in FL, considering trying some of her eggs out next, not that there's anything wrong with this last stock, I've just had better luck hatching eggs from FL for some odd reason.

His name is Patrick Popplewell out of Butler, MO. Here's his email address [email protected]
Unfortunately I only had 1 hatch of the 4 that made it to lockdown. By the looks of the air cells I'd say they took a pretty good beating in transit, so I wasn't expecting too much. The one that did hatch is doing wonderfully and is a beautiful little chick. Very friendly, the first to come running when I come onto the brooder room to check on them. Looking at the wings, it appears she's a pullet. I've been in contact with another breeder in FL, considering trying some of her eggs out next, not that there's anything wrong with this last stock, I've just had better luck hatching eggs from FL for some odd reason.
AWWWW! Congrats on finally getting your Coro Sussex! Your story sounds like mine.

I got shipped eggs from a man in KY. The air cells were detached & rolling when they arrived, but 6 developed, 4 made it to lock down, and one hatched. I thought male because the chick had a very pink, then red comb, but it stayed small. I almost gave "him" away for free, but decided to keep it until it crowed. She laid an egg around 8-9 months old. LOL

Here she was at 8 weeks old.

My advice is to ask the breeder's opinion around 8 wks old if you are unsure of the gender.

Also, my daughter did an experiment with shipped eggs 3 years ago. We found that shipped eggs from nearby states had worse hatch rates than those from farther away. NC & TX both did well, but KY & IN eggs were terrible. Perhaps the closer eggs were driven or sent by train & the farther eggs went via airmail. Just a guess. I'm hoping she decides to experiment further with that idea, but this year she wanted to try hatching grocery store , farmers market, & backyard eggs. Last year was chicken training & an experiment with egg shape vs. gender. The year before that was using broody hens vs. an incubator. She certainly has her own ideas, so I must let her decide.

Back
Top Bottom