1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coronation Sussex?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ncmtngal, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ncmtngal

ncmtngal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Howdy folks,
    I have six Coronation Sussex eggs in the bator right now. Because I'm lame and didn't do enough research, I'm not sure what makes the CS different from other Sussex? IS it just a coloring issue?

My goal is to start rasing hertitage breeds. I assume the CS doesn't "count"?

Any info would be helpful [​IMG].

Kerri in NC

2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    You will find that coronations are very slow growers, but that they have to be to put weight on that large frame they are developing.
    The coro coloring was developed to honor king edwards coronation in the early 20th century. You will find more info on them on line too. Greenfire farms has a nice little piece of into on them on their site.
    My coros are sweet birds, not too people friendly, but I don't handle my birds as this is a farm, not a pet store, but that is my way of thinking. My roo is a big dignified boy who is laid back and non aggressive. I have yet to get any eggs from my hens and I got them as month olds in june of last year.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
  4. byAngelique

byAngelique New Egg

Mar 6, 2012
    I just purchased these two very beautiful birds today! I am excited with our new journey we are taking into the world of chickens! We have a collection of many different breeds and decided on this couple today as our breeding pair! :) He is a sweetheart! Light Sussex Coronation Split Mr. and Mrs. ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    Coronation Sussex are the fastest growing birds of all the breeds I have. They also started laying the same time as my reds and lay just as good. They feather out much faster than orpingtons, start laying much sooner, and lay more. I don't know why anyone would think they are slow growers.

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi Kerry,
    According to the historical lit, the Coronation Sussex has the same Standard and commerical uses as the Light Sussex. The only difference is that the Light Sussex is black where the Coronation Sussex is Blue or Lavender (depending on which Continent the strain originated). Use the Light Sussex Standard and breed info and the color genetics for the Coronation Sussex and you should be just fine.
    Best Regards,
    Karen Tewart
    Waterford Light Sussex
    Ligonier, PA

7. Vallee

Vallee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    I am just learning too! I bought a trio last year and now have Coronations coming out my ears! I believe what makes CS's different is the delicate pearl gray markings in place of black or other recognized coloration. CS is a 'variety' (color) that is not a recognized variety although I use the Sussex standard out of the APA standards book for guidance on desirable body type, proportions, comb, etc. As to whether they are a 'heritage' breed... well, I guess Sussex would be a heritage breed but also wonder if the unrecognized CS color disqualifies them as heritage? I don't know!

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    My coro's are the fastest growing of my breeds too. They are 7 months old and 3 of 7 have started laying. Easily my favorite breed. Friendly, inquisitive and very pretty!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by