Correct height for perches.

GOATLADY006

Chirping
Oct 8, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
I have just moved my chickens into a new coop and put in new perches. One is a tree limb without the bark on it. It measures about 2-1/2 to 3"around. Set it at 20". The second is a 2" square piece of rough wood and set at about 36". The chickens did not use it on their first night in coop. They all mashed into the 4 nest boxes instead. I have 6 chickens and 1 rooster.

What is the best type of perch? Square, round, wide, narrow? And wood type?

My perches are 48” and 36” high. They don’t need to be that high but my chickens seem to like roosting in higher places. Mine are pine two by 4’s So they are 4 inches wide. Part of it may be because they are not used to the new coop yet. Maybe close off the nesting boxes before it gets dark

I have just moved my chickens into a new coop and put in new perches. One is a tree limb without the bark on it. It measures about 2-1/2 to 3"around. Set it at 20". The second is a 2" square piece of rough wood and set at about 36". The chickens did not use it on their first night in coop. They all mashed into the 4 nest boxes instead. I have 6 chickens and 1 rooster.

What is the best type of perch? Square, round, wide, narrow? And wood type?
Doesn't really matter what size, but wood is best.

Roost should be higher than nests...
..other than at height doesn't matter as long as they can fly down without crashing into something(like you wouldn't put a 5' high roost in a 4x4 coop).

Block the nests until they get used to the new roosts.
Chickens hate change.

Agree with what aart said about roosts being higher than nests
i think also it is best for the perch to be round so the chickens can grip on to it, and the height depends on the breed of chicken.

What have you got? (breeds)

Their previous coop was only about 4-5' high and the roost was about half that height and they used it nightly. So I was afraid to go too high in the bigger coop which is high enough for me to stand up and then some. I am hoping it is just they are not used to the new coop and after today will be more in to roosting properly. Last night was their first night. I also had a heater lamp high up and pointed at roosts to take the chill off as they had this lamp in their old coop.

I am not sure about their breed. One is a Silkie like my picture. Two are black, one grey, one red and a speckled black and white one. The rooster is black like the two. I don't know breeds too well. I inherited these chickens from friends who moved from acreage to town and needed a place for them.

My chicks are 16 weeks now with roosts at about 36" and 40", odd I know. The nest boxes are closed off with cardboard. They went into the coop at about 10 weeks and all camped out on the floor in a corner. They explored the ramp and roosts for a few weeks before they actually started using them and now all is normal. I ended up blocking off the rafters (6ft) cuz I wanted them on my roosts! I'm using pine 2x4s with the 4" side to stand on since it does get a bit cold here in Spokane and wanted them to cover their feet if desired. (I would). Going to open up the nest boxes at 18 weeks but check to make sure nobody is sleeping there. Roosts are well above the box level. Love my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom