Cortunix quail with bloody backend

whatdoidohere

Hatching
Aug 27, 2023
Hi all, noobie quail owner here. This is my first covey and I've got a hen with a bloody backend, something that looks like a red ball hanging off her, and she appears to be straining.

1) What type of bird , age and weigh: Cortunix quail hen, ~2.5 months, weight seems normal but I don't weigh them regularly.
2) What is the behavior, exactly: bloody backend, something that looks like a red ball hanging off her, and she appears to be straining.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since this morning
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not that I can tell. I just checked/handled them all last night and they all seemed fine.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nothing aside from what's already been mentioned.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea, but I just lost another hen to what looked like quail violence a few days ago. It may be an aggressive roo (I had 8 hens + 2 roos).
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. New Country Organics layer feed and water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Unknown, because they're all together, but I haven't noticed any abnormal poop in the tray.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing because wtf
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If treatable, I'm willing to try home remedies. An emergency vet is likely not justifiable for how much they would cost vs the cost of the hen.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Attached.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Cimuka quail housing
IMG_0263.jpg

Update: I pulled her out, soaked her for a few minutes in warm water and rinsed her off, then used a gloved finger in olive oil to gently push everything back in. She's now resting by herself in a dark pen/room.

Looks like she may have prolapsed and then the tissue was picked at.

She may prolapse again so keep watch on her. I'd be inclined to get some extra calcium into her once daily for a week. For a Quail hen I'd give 200mg Calcium Citrate with D3.

Back
Top Bottom