Coryza confirmation. Cull last bird?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrjoemomma, Sep 16, 2013.

  1. mrjoemomma

    mrjoemomma In the Brooder

    Feb 24, 2013
    I think I know the answer to this question already, but my conscience need confirmation.

    Like an idiot I picked up a few pullets from a flea market this weekend. I was so excited about the new birds I did not take my time examining them deeply. I got them home and into the coop and began to notice over the next couple days how rough a couple of them looked. Sneezing, mucus, bubbling eye, and that awful smell! Anyway I culled the two with visible signs, but that leaves me with one that appears to be fine.

    I am doing it right this time and just ordered some very nice hi-line brown pullets. These will be coming from a clean commercial breeder. My question is, what should I do with the lone survivor from the flea market. Common sense tells me to cull, disinfect the coop and start from scratch.

    Is this a safest course of action?
  2. In my opinion, yes. Most likely that bird, if not sick, will become sick, or a carrier, and will infect your new birds. If it were my bird, I would cull and start over. I now that is harsh, but it really is the only way to have a clean flock. I am sorry you are going through this!
  3. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive Enabler

    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You really need to wait several weeks after culling the last bird or your new flock will be infected. Cleaning everything with 10% bleach water and soap, and waiting 3 weeks would be wise.
  4. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble

    Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It would be best to wait at least 60 days before repopulating when dealing with Infectious Coryza.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: