Coryza, I was wondering......

NestingHillsSC

Songster
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Tennessee
Just to start from the beginning. I got a nice friendly RIR rooster from our flee market. . Then decided I would get 3 hens so I can get some eggs. So instead of buying from a hatchery like I was going to I bought 3 nice looking 7-8 month old hens from the same guy I bought the rooster. I only had them for 3 days when I noticed one hen was sneezing and coughing. I should have taken her out but thought it was just the sudden tempature drop. But then I noticed my queen who was laying our eggs started to do the same. So now I have taken both out and in my office. Niether look very good at all. Eyes shut, can't breathe, discharge from nose, wezzing. The other hen and rooster looks just fine.

So if it is Coryza and the other 2 birds are doing good, are they carriers. Will getting vaccinated chicks be ok to put with them? My first experience raising chickens is starting off very very horriable. I have read so much, just don't know what to do or think.
sad.png

Here is a video of them. The one in he back is actually the worst one. Never has it's eyes open.

If there's a foul odor around her head area, it's coryza. No odor, possibly mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read about symptoms and treatments.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I had one act exactly the same way late yesterday, went in the coop today and she was dead. If you find out what it is I would really appreciate knowing.

I'm so confused. After reading a lot I don't think it is Coryza. They have no bad smell on their heads. They smell like chickens. It must be either gape worms or a respiratory infection. They have been this way for a week now. I went to tractor supply yesterday to get tylan 50 and wasn't sure if I could use it. Said cattle or swine. But read that it was the stuff. So I'm going back and getting that today.

Also from what I read if it was gape worm the symptoms listed aren't runny noses. So I'm thinking infection. I will give them 1/2cc injection today when they open. Will see how this goes. Might just buy both meds.

That is really what I am thinking also. Watching them right now. There drinking but can't seem to eat anything. One tried but gave up. Listening to them breathe is just horrible. I feel so sorry for them.
sad.png

Will gave my first injections to my 2 hens. Must have did it right, because they didn't fall over dead. LOL. Let's hope this helps. Will let yea know in the coming days.

Well after day one of the shots, still looks about the same. But I did notice there are finally starting to eat and drink for the first time in days. But other than that the same.

I also noticed yesterday my Roo outside is starting to have that gurgle in his throat. I sure hope he's not coming down with it now!!
sad.png

Well after day one of the shots, still looks about the same. But I did notice there are finally starting to eat and drink for the first time in days. But other than that the same.

I also noticed yesterday my Roo outside is starting to have that gurgle in his throat. I sure hope he's not coming down with it now!!
sad.png
Continue to the 3rd day with the injections. You've eliminated the gapeworm question...they are eating and drinking. I suspected it was a respiratory problem. Keep up the good work, they should improve soon.

Back
Top Bottom