Coryza (?) Nightmare...hard lesson learned...

buteo4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
Menominee, MI
I learned a very hard lesson...I neglected my best judgement and a fundamental rule of chicken keeping and added 3 new silkies I purchased at a fur and feather swap in Sept to my flock without quarantining them first. A week later I found one of the newbies dead under the roost. I didn't think much of it until I started finding lice on my birds, then last week found one of my otherwise healthy young frizzles dead. Several days later all heck started breaking loose when I discovered one of my Polish hens with swollen closed eyes and a foul smelling nasal discharge. Next day Polish hen #2 with the same symptoms...today, day 3, my two roos are gurgling and wheezing. I have had all birds on Terramycin for 3 days, but my friend got sulfadimethoxine from a vet today so I will switch to that tomorrow. I am off work tomorrow so my plan is to clean and disinfect the coop and everything in it, replace the bedding, etc. Before this all started I was just planning on dusting for the lice. Should I wait until the crisis is over to do this to avoid further stressing my birds? I have about 25 birds of various breeds including a few bantams. I am SOOOO MAD at myself over this and have not been getting much sleep!

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry this has happened to you!!! I would probably dust now but I am a newbie so I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you. I am sorry for your losses but thanks for posting to remind us how important it is to quarentine new birds. They might appear healthy at first but it can really hurt your entire flock in the end.
I hope you others are able to pull through!!!

Back
Top Bottom