1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cost analyses

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FreddyC, Nov 3, 2014.

1. FreddyC

FreddyC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    First forgive me if this is in the wrong thread. I did a cost sheet on how much it cost us per egg to produce them. It's around .08 cents per egg. We sell them for around .21 cents per egg giving us a .13 cents per egg profit. That's about 140 percent as I figure it. I would like to hear about others and what you do to lower your cost. Thanks all.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The true cost analysis would include everything spent to produce the eggs. This might include the cost of the housing, fencing, bedding, feeders, fountains, bowls and so forth. It might include the original cost for each chick, the brooder bulbs, electricity and bedding and most importantly, all the feed it took to grow out those chicks to point where they began to produce eggs.

When the true cost analysis is done, is almost impossible to be "profitable". This is probably best viewed as a hobby, until or unless the true cost analysis shows profit margins that include all the costs of producing eggs for sale. As a hobby, approaching the "break even" point is considered a monumental victory by most folks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. FreddyC

Mar 18, 2014
    My cost numbers was based on the cost of feed only, as all that other stuff is a must just to be able to raise chickens so I look at the start up as a non recoverable investment to begin with.

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    fixed costs are those that exist even if you decide to stop raising chickens: land, building
    variable costs change with each added animal: feed, water

great books written on the subject by those that teach at our universities

another similar topic is "economic decision making" which is comparing two or more similar purchases: Leghorn vs Orpington vs silkie

5. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana

What about medicine? Straw, pine shavings, DE, sand, and such things? And of course, your man hours will never be reimbursed...

6. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Sounds like the "today cost" but what happens when they moult? No eggs, but they still want to eat!

Sometimes you can find a smaller grocer or farmer who will give away free produce or bread (I would not feed them junk food!)

Free ranging ... Is free ... As long as they all make it back to the coop alive, and lay their eggs in the coop!

7. Fred's Hens

Those are costs or expenses in my book and on my farm's books. Not an investment.

An investment is my 401K, hopefully.

8. Fred's Hens

The single largest expense, on a re-occuring basis is bird acquisition and feed. To deal with feed costs, the price per hundred must come down. In my experience, there is no other way to lower the cost of purchased feed other than avoiding retail stores selling pre packed, trucked in feed.

The cost per hundred of Layer complete feed, for example, at the local rural lifestyle stores near me is over $30. The cost per hundred of Layer ground fresh at a local feed mill near me is $19. Of course, local feed mills rarely have pellet machines so the feed will come in gunny sacks, tied at the neck with binder twine, fresh from the milling floor. It is what is commonly called mash.

Mash often requires a different feeding style as well.

This is my single biggest suggested step in reducing current feed costs. Finding a local feed mill isn't always easy if you aren't located in a mixed agriculture area or an area without a strong Old Order Mennonite or Amish community.

9. FreddyC

Mar 18, 2014
    Thanks Freds Hens. That was what my original question was based off of how to lower cost. Not the definition of the word cost. That makes a lot of sense to me. I am looking for other options of acquiring feed other then TC. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by