Cost-Effective Fencing

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I'm looking into cost-effective fencing for my woodline.

Main priority: Keeping chickens from going into the woods.

Problems: I have indor/outdoor cats that like hunting in the woods. I need them to easily be able to come and go.
Another problem, my chickens have started FOLLOWING my cats into the woods. Not very far, but I don't like it.

If I put up fencing along the woodline- this is my first idea. But that is one long fence... What is the most cost-effective way to do it? Is ther an alternative? (I won't be building or expanding runs until next year.)

What about predators?

And deer? I usually get deer in my yard, and I like that. It's nice to watch the young ones grow and families be made.

I guess this is a case where I can't have my cake and eat it too, but what is the right approach?

Do I put up a fence?
Are there other options?

Predators will come whether you fence them out of the woods or not, and chickens do like trees and shrubs for many reasons.
Electric fencing or electric poultry netting are very effective against ground predators, reasonably mobile, and inexpensive compared to other choices. Your cats can find another way to their hunting areas!
Woven wire 'goat fencing', 4"x4", keeps all but chicks contained, and is less expensive than the 2"x4" woven wire fencing for horses. With a small gap at ground level, and electric rope on top, it can be 5' high. Many birds will stay inside, although not all.
Predators will still arrive...
Mary

My first thought: anything your cats can get through, the chickens probably will, too, and so will predators like raccoons, weasels, opossums. And anything deer can get over, other predators may be able to get over.

Having said that, we have 4' high (edit: 2x4", not 1x2") welded wire fencing and don't suffer many losses, but we have a good little Sheltie that keeps coyotes away and a low predator load. We do lose the occasional bird, however. Most recently we had to take steps to foil a red-tailed hawk. Good luck!

I use deer fencing, it works amazing. I use it to just keep the neighbor's dogs out, it has worked very well for that purpose. You can buy the deer fencing at Lowe's, it is $55 for 100 feet and it's 7 feet tall. The posts are $6.98 a piece, I use 1 every 7 feet.

I would let my chickens free range, but I've already had a loss from the dogs 3 years ago so I use this fencing. I've had it for a year and added on last week. I have 4 rolls of it so far and I plan to add 2 more in the near future.

If you use wooden fence posts your cats will be able to climb up an over.

If the fenced area is large enough, your chickens may not be inclined to fly over even if the fence is short.

I only have a 36 inch tall 2"x4" welded wire fence around the larger chicken yard (they have smaller runs attached to their coops). When the chickens are out in the larger area they are so engrossed in exploring this that they have yet to attempt to hop the fence. I know they could hop it if they really wanted, but don't.

Also a 3 ft or 4 ft fence would be easy clearance for deer if you still want them to have access to other parts of your property.

This would not be a predator proof solution, but would still be more secure than your current situation without a fence at all.

I have acreage that is lakefront and bordering a very large wooded area. We have been collecting pallets and T-posts and are slowly fencing in our property. The inspiration behind what I am building was from the first large picture here:

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/16-wood-pallet-fence-ideas/

We are just doing a bigger scale version of the coral they have made on that website. It looks rustic and cute. I have found a lot of welded wire to line the inside of it for extra protection by curb shopping, yard selling, and through Facebook groups. We also have been buying fence pickets that are damaged and have been returned to Lowes. For the most part, these are still usable, some have cracks, but at a fraction of the price. They are currently the walls of our largest chicken coop put up in a clapboard siding kind of style over pallet walls. I just picked up some more today for the sixth trip. Recycling and making use of other's trash is one of my favorite things to do! Good luck!

Attachments

• lowes.jpg
    lowes.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom