Cost effective ways to dump sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frog522, Oct 24, 2011.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I have a 5'x4' chicken run with sand on a concrete floor. I've used the sand for about a year and half now, without replacing any. There is a detectable smell now when I kneel down in the run which is bothering me. I have been scooping out poop nearly daily since I have been using it. I only used about 10 bags (can't remember how heavy each bag was, 30 pounds? they weren't that big) when I first filled the run. Right now, there is probably about 6-7 bags (worth) of sand in the run. I would like to replace it all with new sand.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how and where to dump the sand? I live in a suburban neighborhood. I am thinking I may have to hire a company or service to pick up and dump the sand for me. I hope it is not expensive otherwise I would be paying $100 to dump dirty sand that originally cost maybe $20 new.

Has anyone had any experience with dumping/replacing sand?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Spread about 5 lbs of Food Grade DE (diatomaceous earth) and mix it up and turn it. Lay it outside spread out and let it air out and throw the DE down. or Spread the sand all over you gardens. Fantastic fertilizer with the chicken poop in it and 2 helps with water in the soil.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Spread a couple of bags of AG (pelletized) Lime on the sand and mix it in.

That will kill most of the odor.

Another option is simply spread the sand over your lawn.
    You're only talking about 500 lbs or so

There's no point in hauling it anywhere

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would just throw some DE in there and add a few more bags of sand.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Dig it into any garden, flower bed, or around the landscape plants. It is amazing stuff in a garden.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You would defenitely have some pretty grass.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have heavy clay here. I'd put it in the gardens and on the lawn, happy to have it.

In your case, I'd try turning some lime into it, first. Make sure you don't get the caustic type.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You would defenitely have some pretty grass.

It's been cleaned out every day, so there isn't any appreciable amount of fertilizer left in it.

It takes TONS of manure to amount to enough actual nutrients to fertilize just one acre​

9. ChickEngineer

ChickEngineer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    My gardener also recommended spreading on the lawn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by