Cost of Lavenders

Feath3rDust3r

Songster
Mar 16, 2019
Altoona, IA
The chicks from tractor supply and other feed stores are not usually good quality. I've bought some before and they all had the feather shredding gene...so when they were grown they looked like they had a silkie tail. Their body shape was too lean also. The ones on Craigslist probably had been bred to a better standard so therefore would be better quality. As in most cases you get what you pay for

TheMother

Songster
May 17, 2020
Washington
The chicks from tractor supply and other feed stores are not usually good quality. I've bought some before and they all had the feather shredding gene...so when they were grown they looked like they had a silkie tail. Their body shape was too lean also. The ones on Craigslist probably had been bred to a better standard so therefore would be better quality. As in most cases you get what you pay for

What's the feather shredding gene?
Does it have anything to do with losing feathers? Cause these Lavenders I got for 5 bucks on Craigslist are losing their feathers like crazy.

Feath3rDust3r

Songster
Mar 16, 2019
Altoona, IA
That sounds more like moulting. The feather shredding gene is reduced by breeding in another color such as black to get a larger gene pool. It's the way the feathers look, not that they fall out

Top Bottom