Cost of raiseing chicks

muddstopper

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Murphy NC
Has anybody here ever done the math to see what it cost to raise a flock from chicks. I think it would be safe to say some breeds would cost more than others. I am considering buying 100 sexed chicks and raiseing to laying age. Heavy breed. At that point I will cull down and sell about half the flock. I am just wondering how much it should cost to do this?

I think the cost will depend on what you already have. Do you already have a chicken coop? Water and food containers? Or are you just considering food and water costs and cost of chicks themselves?

I am just wondering about cost of food and medications. Anything I spend on coops, waters and feeders, etc. would be pro rata on future flocks. Cost of chicks would be a known expense at time of purchase. I just want to know what to expect to spend on feed and how much would be needed for about 18 weeks for 100 chicks. Ballpark numbers will work for now.

I think they figure 15 pounds of feed to get a lightweight breed to laying age at 20 weeks. Heavy breeds eat more and can take longer to start laying. Some eat more than others, even in the heavy breeds.

Daily, they figure a 1/4 pound of feed for a lightweight breed and a 1/3 more for a heavy breed. Some figure 1/3 of a pound a day for a heavy breed.

Edited to add, the daily figures are for hens that are laying.

Last edited:
At 15lb of feed per chick for 20weeks, that would be 1500lbs for 100 chicks. I can get quality feed for $9 per 100, so total feed cost should be around $135 or $1.35 per chick. Somehow that number seems to low to me. Are you sure of the 15lb feed per chick. that would be 5 lb of feed converted to meat and feathers and 10lbs to poo.

Chicks in question would be RIR or black sex link.

My 11 chicks just turned 4 weeks old. Somehow I have managed to spend about $120 on them (chicks plus food and supplies), not counting the huge chicken coop we are building (will be about $500). I already had a big dog crate to keep them in, although they have outgrown it and I have to find something else pronto. I'm sure others are able to manage spending less than that, but I had little time to research etc.

Back
Top Bottom