Costco Chicken Coop & The Custom Addons we installed.

TheWorkz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
So, Recently costco had this Coop on sale for $199 which I believe a few people picked up this last season in Oregon. I was able to get the display model when they sold out for $75 already assembled. I figured since I got it for so cheap, I would put some time and effort into making it a bit more "all-in-one" rollaround design. Sorry for all the pictures, but in this world of pinstafacegram, i figured no one would mind. :)

1. Watering System
I wanted to make a watering system that would be self-sufficient with little mess. I decided on drinker cups at first but If those don't end up working well for the chickens, i will switch them to nipples as many others have used instead.

Here is the connection to into the coop. Drilled into wall, which provides support for the pipe under the deck.

Since most of the PVC running under the upper deck, its not very visible which is what I was going for. Clean design as possible.

Here is the underside.

We added a valve on the outside end so I can flush the system if anything gets stuck in the lines.

And finally, I just have a Home Depot bucket hanging temporarily.. I am planning on building something more decorative later when I have more time. I just have to get this done within the next week or so.

This gravity fed system is working really well so far with good pressure and no leaks. Eventually i want my system to use a toilet valve and have a hose connected so there is a constant flow of water.

2. Feeding System
So the second addon is the Feeding system. First though, I REALLY want to thank Bill at Evergreen Gas for helping me out with the venting, installation, etc.. I wanted a waterproof, long term food storage solution that made the coop also look like a nice little house. :)

Front the front of it, it looks really awesome..

Here is the bracket he used to mount to the house.

And inside the coop, he flipped a dryer vent upside down and it works amazing!! The chickens love it.

And the connection to the back of the dryer feeder.

4. Flooring Upgrade
The last thing I installed was a laminate floor which hopefully should make it easy to clean in the future. (as you can see under the pine)

5. Addon Run
Because our coop is so small, i wanted to be able to attach and detach a temporary run to the coop so that have more room. I would love to keep them outside (free ranging), but already today I had to chase off a cat who tryed to attack them.
I just happened to take apart my deck railing, so I used those boards and refurbished them into a addon run.. It's not stained or finished yet, but heres the basic outline.. a bunch of 2x2's and some galvenized mesh. We used chicen wire for the floor which will be covered by sand or something.

Here are the latches that are hopefully racoon proof (fingers crossed)

and flipped open to release the Chickens

I am going to finish sanding the run this week and probably stain it a close to red as the coop.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

So, Recently costco had this Coop on sale for $199 which I believe a few people picked up this last season in Oregon. I was able to get the display model when they sold out for $75 already assembled. I figured since I got it for so cheap, I would put some time and effort into making it a bit more "all-in-one" rollaround design. Sorry for all the pictures, but in this world of pinstafacegram, i figured no one would mind. :)

1. Watering System
I wanted to make a watering system that would be self-sufficient with little mess. I decided on drinker cups at first but If those don't end up working well for the chickens, i will switch them to nipples as many others have used instead.

Here is the connection to into the coop. Drilled into wall, which provides support for the pipe under the deck.

Since most of the PVC running under the upper deck, its not very visible which is what I was going for. Clean design as possible.

Here is the underside.

We added a valve on the outside end so I can flush the system if anything gets stuck in the lines.

And finally, I just have a Home Depot bucket hanging temporarily.. I am planning on building something more decorative later when I have more time. I just have to get this done within the next week or so.

This gravity fed system is working really well so far with good pressure and no leaks. Eventually i want my system to use a toilet valve and have a hose connected so there is a constant flow of water.

2. Feeding System
So the second addon is the Feeding system. First though, I REALLY want to thank Bill at Evergreen Gas for helping me out with the venting, installation, etc.. I wanted a waterproof, long term food storage solution that made the coop also look like a nice little house. :)

Front the front of it, it looks really awesome..

Here is the bracket he used to mount to the house.

And inside the coop, he flipped a dryer vent upside down and it works amazing!! The chickens love it.

And the connection to the back of the dryer feeder.

4. Flooring Upgrade
The last thing I installed was a laminate floor which hopefully should make it easy to clean in the future. (as you can see under the pine)

5. Addon Run
Because our coop is so small, i wanted to be able to attach and detach a temporary run to the coop so that have more room. I would love to keep them outside (free ranging), but already today I had to chase off a cat who tryed to attack them.
I just happened to take apart my deck railing, so I used those boards and refurbished them into a addon run.. It's not stained or finished yet, but heres the basic outline.. a bunch of 2x2's and some galvenized mesh. We used chicen wire for the floor which will be covered by sand or something.

Here are the latches that are hopefully racoon proof (fingers crossed)

and flipped open to release the Chickens

I am going to finish sanding the run this week and probably stain it a close to red as the coop.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

I love it, love it. Isn't it wonderful to get a real DEAL?
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom