Costco Chicken feed….?

My 3 Chicky Babies

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
Saw this chicken feed at my local Costco today. Has anyone tried it? What are thoughts to this brand? Thanks in advance ❤️

Attachments

• 61CE2EA4-A126-4940-9A24-C842E81A59D1.jpeg
    61CE2EA4-A126-4940-9A24-C842E81A59D1.jpeg
    735 KB · Views: 376
  • A0D3A896-E78F-45B5-A3F4-2A6C1B21C827.jpeg
    A0D3A896-E78F-45B5-A3F4-2A6C1B21C827.jpeg
    758.3 KB · Views: 272
The tag tells me it's manufactured by Nutrena.
20210701_071948_resized.jpg

My preferred feed choice.
If I wanted Organic layer feed and it was cheaper than Nutrena's Organic and fresh, I would buy.
The tag in your post says 11JUN21 that's fresh.
Nothing wrong with layers feed 16% if you don't give Scratch Grains as a treat. I do, so I feed 18% Starter-Grower feed with Oyster Shells separately.
It's cheaper than an 18% Layers feed.
When I did feed a Layers feed 18% I fed these.
20210701_073202_resized.jpg
Yes one is Feather Fixer but it says on the bag you can feed year round.
It appears to be a 16% layer. I wouldn't buy it.

Also I don't have a Cockerel/Rooster, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to feed him a Layers feed. It can take years for extra Calcium to affect them, and if you free range they'll most likely be taken by a predator before 2 years of age.
20200831_072006_resized.jpg

If you watch a Rooster that is allowed to free range they eat very little crumble or pellets he prefers to find grubs, bugs and worms for his hens.

Now if you keep your chickens penned then your Rooster could live years. In that case feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed with Oyster Shells in a separate container. GC

Last edited:
Saw this chicken feed at my local Costco today. Has anyone tried it? What are thoughts to this brand? Thanks in advance ❤️
I have been trying to research this same Country Life organic layer feed myself and I am not able to find much info or reviews on it. Not sure why. I just created a similar post asking for input from other members. Someone actually sent me a link to your post. :)

I bought my first bag of this feed at my local Costco a few weeks ago and my girls are currently eating it. So far, I’ve noticed that they are not as excited to eat it as compared to their last bag of organic crumble from a different brand, but they do eat it. I wanted to try this one because it was a better price point and it looked like a good feed. It’s definitely on the powdery side, though. I regularly need to add a little water to it once they’ve eaten the crumbly bits so they can eat all of it.

Have you tried it yet? If so, please let me know what your experience is as well. :)

I have been trying to research this same Country Life organic layer feed myself and I am not able to find much info or reviews on it. Not sure why. I just created a similar post asking for input from other members. Someone actually sent me a link to your post. :)

I bought my first bag of this feed at my local Costco a few weeks ago and my girls are currently eating it. So far, I’ve noticed that they are not as excited to eat it as compared to their last bag of organic crumble from a different brand, but they do eat it. I wanted to try this one because it was a better price point and it looked like a good feed. It’s definitely on the powdery side, though. I regularly need to add a little water to it once they’ve eaten the crumbly bits so they can eat all of it.

Have you tried it yet? If so, please let me know what your experience is as well. :)
I typed the P.O. Box into google search and came up with a company named Cargill. Their website is www.cargill.com. I believe they are the manufacturer. Under products & Services they have Animal Nutrition tab www.cargill.com/animalnutrition

It's a bit low in lysine and methionine compared to some of the other feeds available. Might want to give them vitamins periodically to up those levels, or make sure they eat lots of bugs?

So if anyone has been reading about the Purina issue, I have been feeding my hens this Country organic feed for a while, and was getting 15-18 eggs a day, then suddenly dropped to 1. Took them off this feed and they went from 1 to 5 in 2 days already. Looked into Cargill. Interesting multi billion dollar company, owns Purina in other countries....just food for thought.

https://equiery.com/triple-crown-an...l does not own Purina,How is Nestle involved?

It’s definitely on the powdery side, though. I regularly need to add a little water to it once they’ve eaten the crumbly bits so they can eat all of it.

Are you still using the feed? Any other downsides?

Sometimes I hand feed the chickens with a big pile in my hand, and they sneeze! If they're not super hungry, they'll leave the dust behind, and then only the bottom of the pecking order will keep pecking for the tiny tiny crumbs! I'll have to try the water trick but some have passed over it when wet.

Back
Top Bottom