Costuming...

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Apparently if I am removed from animal husbandry I can learn new things. LOL For the year where we crashed with my husband's parents while waiting on our new home remodel, my MIL set me up with her sewing machine after I had expressed interest in making a Renaissance costume for the local fest.

I had fallen in LOVE with a $1,000 dress that I just couldn't buy. Too many other priorities for sure, like restarting the chicken flock after moving.

I was a terrible sewing student. She said I should practice a straight line on the machine first, on swatches. No thanks. Heading straight for the task at hand! Used a stretchy imitation velvet to make this first dress, the bodice is cut like a t-shirt and worn over a corset. Hahaha

The first attempt, no pattern, plenty of errors. Matching purse!

Matching hat! I used a head form and felt, covered over in fabric and trim.

Matching hooded cape, still needs trim if I finish it. The hood "pattern" came from a hoodie I have.

The shirt is a purchase, but the dress I made from an upcycled table cloth and the bodice/accent skirt front came from a... shower curtain. When learning it's important not to spend a lot. HAhahaha! These were thriftstore finds. The cape I made from discount faux suede fabric.

The back of the cape. No pattern, just winging it using the dress form and pins.

Haven't set up the sewing room at the new house yet, too busy getting the place set up and critter ready. We have that done now besides finishing out the stalls in the barn for the next batch of birds.

Need to find just the right kitchen island so that I can steal the table to take upstairs and get set up while it's still winter! These temperatures pretty well keep us house bound besides maintenance chores!

I have about 8 dresses in progress. Once I get to the trim/finishing part I step back and think about if it's made well enough to warrant spending 16+ hours applying trim. I do beading too, and have some accent pieces in progress for bodices.

It all started because of this hat. (a work in progress dress to match it) MIL is lucky I didn't try to poach those curtains when we moved out!

Anyone else into making costumes?

I don't sew any more but wanted to congratulate you on a job well done! Especially impressive for not using a pattern (I wouldn't have tried that). I like your choice of materials and the costumes look great!

Thank you! I tried a pattern and ended up incredibly agitated. Haha! It was more relaxing to try different ways of pinning/tucking/pleating/cutting to get the desired look and shape. I have a lot to learn still in getting the fabric to perform/conform to how I want it, and I had no idea how the type of fabric mattered so much!

Having the dress form was invaluable to the process, I broke down and bought one after the first blue dress.

Are all the costumes you're making for you to wear or do you plan on selling them? They look good enough I would think you could find buyers if you want.

Having the dress forum must have made it much easier to work with the fabrics and trying various folds.

There is a market, but no real profit unless I get much faster or less detailed. I have a couple of orders from friends, if I get around to getting them made. Mostly for kids so they won't need to be that ornate. I would definitely be doing it for fun and not money!

The $1,000 dress I loved so much took 8 weeks to make. Most of them I see advertised are made to order to the buyer's measurements, either natural or corseted. Having a good steel boned corset helps a lot in getting the right shape.

I can see why the costumes could get real expensive, that's a lot of labor. As long as you're having fun doing it, that's the real reward!

Back
Top Bottom