Coturnix biting the back of each others neck? Mating or Aggression

Bruiserdog99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Idaho
Hello ive recently added a new bird to my flock and he has been doing pretty well but i notices that he and the other roo are biting the back of each others necks and "Wrestling" are they fighting or mating they do it to each other and the hens they are about 6 weeks old. Thanks.

Yeah i have 11 coturnix right now i have 2 roo's and 8 hens right now there all almost 6 weeks there mostly doing it to the hens so im guessing its mating im gonna start incubating eggs so i want the eggs fertile right now so i think ill keep the 2 roo's

You can't add roosters that haven't been raised together without fighting. A lot of times they'll eventually go at even if they grew up in the same cage. In a large flight pen or a cage that has a lot of square footage multiple roos are ok, but in most small cages they can't have their own territory so they'll never stop fighting over what territory there is. Try to have 6-7 hens per rooster as well, so they have plenty of girls to distract them. Honestly in the size pens most people are keeping them multiple roosters isn't very feasible. When you have them in a couple hundred square feet those problems become much easier to deal with and much less frequent.

Back
Top Bottom