Coturnix bobwhite cross

I was going to post this earlier, but I held off. Then the more I thought about it, the more I figured that I should post it. Below is only my opinion from what I've gather from reading info for the past 6 or 7 months, and if anyone with more experience or knowledge could answer this, that would be cool.

Genetically, would there be any "benefit" to crossing a Bob with any of the varieties of Coturnix?

I'm no rocket surgeon, but genetically, the Coturnix were selectively bred for many generations to get all of the varieties that we currently have, wouldn't crossing a Bobwhite dilute the bloodline, and basically turn any offspring into a "heinz 57" variety?

It wouldn't make a bird larger than what the Brown Jumbos or A&Ms already are, would it? Speaking of the A&M, would it still have white meat? Would any offspring get the instinct to lay on their eggs?

They would be a sterile hybrid like a mule. They are sometimes used for training bird dogs and since they are sterile they aren't a threat to the genetic integrity of the wild bobwhite population.

Me and the kids just hatched some Couturnix but we do have a bob white trio living together with the couturnix. I'm not sure but I think, we hatched a hybrid.

Me and the kids just hatched some Couturnix but we do have a bob white trio living together with the couturnix. I'm not sure but I think, we hatched a hybrid.
I'm sorry to say this, but that is not a bobwhite... it's more like an English white variety of Coturnix. A bobwhite isn't actually "white"; it gets it's name from the call it makes (this link has a sound bite of their call).
James

Last edited:
It's a golden tux. You get em by putting white bird with a golden of any sort. Sometimes the golden patches are larger than others. Sometimes they just come out looking like a normal white/a&m bird but most times you get a nice little patch of gold.

Back
Top Bottom