Coturnix breeds egg size

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I have 5 different Coturnix sub-breeds (Manchurian, Smoking, Pharaoh, Jumbo (white Texas), Silver) and they all lay different size eggs. Do you have an observation which breeds lay largest eggs and which breeds lay most eggs/year? Any articles on that topic?

Size of egg for the various color of Japanese Coturnix Quail is based on the hen's capacity to pass the egg. Breeding a cock with a larger measurement between pelvic bones and base of the breast (pointy side by abdomen) will increase the likelihood that his daughters will have the capacity to lay larger eggs, and lay them easier. Breeding this same cock with a hen that already lays larger than average eggs will further increase the likelihood that their daughters will lay larger eggs (and that their sons will pass on the characteristics to lay larger eggs to their offspring). It's that simple. Has nothing to do with their coloring. Saying that one coloring of Japanese Coturnix Quail lays bigger eggs than another is like saying that a white labrador retriever can swim better than a black one. Although it might be so for these two individual dogs, it is not absolutely so for the breed or coloring of the individuals.

OK, I am not an expert, but there is an article on this topic, which I just found, which shows that there is a difference:
http://tru.uni-sz.bg/tsj/Vol.10, N 1, 2012/At.Gen4ev.pdf
I am not sure if I read properly, but it looks like the Manchurian Golden lays more eggs, which are smaller in size, while the Pharaoh lays less eggs, larger in size.

and another one:
Genchev, A. and M. Kabakchiev, 2009 Egg productivity and egg quality estimation and evaluation of two breeds Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica). Agricultural Science and Technology, Vol. 1, 1:8-12.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom