Coturnix in lockdown, when should I become concerned?

So I put the 2 extra males up on craigslist thinking that I would get a different color next batch to expand with. Within hours I had tons of people asking about them and several asked if I would get anymore so I've placed an order for 50+ eggs. Here we go again....
ya.gif

I've never had luck with extra males on Craigslist. Most people here want breeding groups that get along well so I've been selling groups with a roo and 4 or 5 hens. I end up sending the extra roosters to freezer camp.

I didn't really expect to have such good luck. Or at least not so quickly. I'm always happy to spread my love of birds around so I'm more than willing to make sure everyone who wants some can get some :) Most of them said they weren't surprised mine were gone already. Every time they call about any they're sold already. So I have a list of phone numbers now. Any that don't sell can help me expand my own group.

Anytime I have chicks and someone comes over they think there are a couple of dead ones. I've never had chicken chicks lounge or sleep like that! I think it just goes to show you how domestic coturnix are that they will lay sprawled like this. No sense of self-preservation at all. A chicken will always have at least one foot under them in case they have to push off and bolt somewhere. Not so our little quail.

My family will still come or call me yelling saying my babies died and ill come back all freaked out and then relize they were just sleeping -__-
So I put the 2 extra males up on craigslist thinking that I would get a different color next batch to expand with. Within hours I had tons of people asking about them and several asked if I would get anymore so I've placed an order for 50+ eggs. Here we go again....
ya.gif
Thats awesome youre getting more eggs :D im thinking at least 2 of mine are males. Theres 2 that are just always tearing stuff up and chirping as loud as they can where all the others are more mellow and quiet. that would be cool to have 2 males and 6 females but my luck probably wont do that haha :p

Last edited:
Hahahaaa I don't have that kind of luck either! The one that I thought would be a roo because he loved the sound of his own voice turned out to be a roo so maybe....
fl.gif
Are they starting to feather yet?

I can't wait for the batch to get here! I'm going to hopefully be overrun with quail in 3 weeks or so.
wee.gif

Yes they are feathering now. i cant believe how fast they grow
ep.gif
have fun hatching out 50+ quail LOL going to be an experience i dont think im ready to try out lol. these 8 are a hand full

My family will still come or call me yelling saying my babies died and ill come back all freaked out and then relize they were just sleeping -__-

Thats awesome youre getting more eggs :D im thinking at least 2 of mine are males. Theres 2 that are just always tearing stuff up and chirping as loud as they can where all the others are more mellow and quiet. that would be cool to have 2 males and 6 females but my luck probably wont do that haha :p
Piercing cricket chirps are a vocalization that only hens can make. Roos can make the sound but it is very muted and they won't be standing erect the way they do when they crow.

Coturnix only vocalize if something is wrong or bothering them, I have 30 adult birds no less than 5-6 roos and you don't hear a peep from my cages. I mean at all. If I'm late getting home and a group knocked their feeder over or something is about the only time I hear any noise.

Also 2 males and 6 females together are going to be a murder party in the same cage. You'd need to split them to two 1:3

thanks for that info
big_smile.png
thoes 2 seem to do no matter the time of day. seems like they are just doing it for fun but i could be wrong i guess. and if i get 2 or more males i was going to put them in seperate cages

The eggs showed up... 60 eggs total lol some of them are twice as big as the eggs from the batch I set last time!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom