Coturnix Indoors(Caging/smell)

Chicken Stripz

Hatching
Mar 1, 2023
So I'm planning on having some quail inside (won't be able to keep them outdoors or else I would). I'm expecting them to smell so I'll be getting an air purifier and keeping the air moving where they are. I'm not sure if I should do a solid floor or wire floor. I think solid would be nicer on their feet but whichever would be best for smell/cleanliness is really my main priority. Wire floor would be 1/2" x 1/2" PVC coated and bedding would be shavings and sweet pdz if used. They'd have a resting mat of some sort on the wire as well. They would be either of these style cages. Main difference is if they stand on the wire or if they're directly on the pan which pulls out. I can add 6" bedding guards to the solid floor one as well

Attachments

• 3953_1_2.jpg
    3953_1_2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 3680_2.jpg
    3680_2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 26
Might also consider large bin cages (105q+) with plenty of ventilation. Something like this but with more windows.

Attachments

• rat-tubs.jpg
    rat-tubs.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 29
If you're only keeping a few, I second the bins. They're light and easy to clean, so that will help with the smell. There will be a lot of dust. You will need to dust your entire house every day or every other day to keep it under control. If you have any respiratory issues, they will make them worse.

Have you considered wood pellets? Wire inside would be smelly imo. I'm more of naturalist and want birds together and happy so the bigger the cage the better. They are overly dusty. I tried having them inside but became impractical.

I would recommend a solid floor wire floors are bad for their feet. As far as smell goes, I would recommend cleaning the cage at least once a week to prevent it from smelling.

As someone who has coturnixes & bobwhite quails indoors, I can tell you that how badly they smell depends on:
1. floor space: the more floor space per bird the better; over-crowding is great for generating strong concentrations of ammonia gases and other unpleasant odors

2. ventilation quality: better ventilation means a drier environment , resulting in poop drying out quicker and so, less offensive odors

3. feed type: imo the higher protein content in the feed, the stronger smelling ammonia gases released from the poop

4. breed-type: bobwhites seem to smell less than the coturnixes.

Lastly, dust and dander is an ongoing problem with keeping these types of birds indoors. My bobwhites are massive dust generators.

Back
Top Bottom