coturnix male/female ratio

1:7 Male:Female is a good ratio for coturnix. Fertility lasts 5-7 days once a hen is bred, and one rooster will breed several each day. Coturnix roosters will not get along unless given plenty of hens and plenty of space to get away from each other.

We keep 1:5 without problems (with a single male), I would keep 1:8 or more with multiple males, we tried 1:3 and the male was a bit over friendly. However, we do not hatch so I don't know what our fertility levels are like, and also our male is an old man now so doesn't do his job very well anyway, he does still try

They will probably fight quite a bit and overbreed the females with that ratio. You can try a larger pen with cover in it to help. If you notice excessive fighting or feather loss two of the boys really need to go.

Can you keep just males together separated from the females? I got a 6:4 male/female
Ratio out of 10 that I bought. Noticed some of the males looked a little beat up so I put 3 of the males in a separate cage away from females until I get some more females. Will they still fight even with no females in the cage with them?

It helps if they cannot see the females.

That said, you should pick out the best rooster and eat the others, 1 roo is quite sufficent for 6-7 females.

60% roos / 40% hens is what I expect when hatching.

That's exactly what I got. I bought 10 2 and 3 day old chicks and picked them all at random and got 6 roos and 4 hens. I'm trying to expand my flock as best I can with these 10 and not having to buy more if possible. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the males or just try and sell them or just harvest the meat

Around here I can only get 2bucks each, and I have that much in em, And honestly from the consumer standpoint thats about filet mignon prices.

Back
Top Bottom