Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Yes, I learned that with my first quail pair (kept them in a pet carrier with a hard top at night and lost the female to a broken neck) and so when I built the outside pen I covered their area with a sheet. Since the actual hard roof is so far up, it keeps them safe from predators but they dont bong their head on it.
Thats great to hear.

Hey guys, I'm going to get Golden pheasants this weekend and I've heard you can keep quail with them and I really want to try it. Will they fight or will they just ignore each other? The aviary is 12 by 5 which is big enough. I'm only looking for a male and 3 females, any other tips?

Hey guys, I'm going to get Golden pheasants this weekend and I've heard you can keep quail with them and I really want to try it. Will they fight or will they just ignore each other? The aviary is 12 by 5 which is big enough. I'm only looking for a male and 3 females, any other tips?

The pheasants will probably kill the quail. Not worth the risk.

I don't comingle quail with any other breeds. Chicken and Turkey chicks will peck their feet, for example same for guineas. I had an adult quail escape a few years ago, and the turkey and guinea killed and ate it before I got to it.
The other issue is disease transmission. I allow free range for the larger fowl but not my pheasant type breeds.

My quail are in an aviary and I have one dove in it too. They dove seems to really like and get along well with the quail. It spends most of the time on the ground, laying in the excelsior and even bowing and cooing at the quail. I also have doves I have hatched with mama and dad in a smaller aviary but surrounded by free-range chickens. Now that the offspring are out on their own they still come and spend the day in the yard with the chickens, without any issue. When I was raising quail and they happened to be about a week old I had to put two baby chicks I had to rescue from a mama hen who was not caring for them. They were only about 2 days old and they grew up with the quail, again no problems. All got along very well so it is possible. Id keep a close eye out for the first few hours of putting anything new into the aviary with the quail. For instance, I have fantails in separate cages but inside the aviary.Yesterday I let two of them out of their cages and into the aviary to run around together and take a water bath. I stayed with them most of the time until I returned them to the cage. I wouldnt want to take a chance of anything happening to the quail.
I havent had any experience with pheasants but Id think that it all depends on how and when the introductions together happens as to if the outcome is favorable or not.

My quail are in an aviary and I have one dove in it too.  They dove seems to really like and get along well with the quail.  It spends most of the time on the ground, laying in the excelsior and even bowing and cooing at the quail.  I also have doves I have hatched with mama and dad in a smaller aviary but surrounded by free-range chickens.  Now that the offspring are out on their own they still come and spend the day in the yard with the chickens, without any issue.  When I was raising quail and they happened to be about a week old I had to put two baby chicks I had to rescue from a mama hen who was not caring for them.  They were only about 2 days old and they grew up with the quail, again no problems.  All got along very well so it is possible.  Id keep a close eye out for the first few hours of putting anything new into the aviary with the quail. For instance, I have fantails in separate cages but inside the aviary.Yesterday I let two of them out of their cages and into the aviary to run around together and take a water bath.  I stayed with them most of the time until I returned them to the cage. I wouldnt want to take a chance of anything happening to the quail.
I havent had any experience with pheasants but Id think that it all depends on how and when the introductions together happens as to if the outcome is favorable or not.
The pheasant is young as well so I think it might work out since I'm getting them the same day. The aviary is going to be new to both of them. I think it'll work out.

I agree...if you manage it well it will work. Think about it, animals live together in the wild. They might not choose to stay close together but sometimes they find themselves in the same proximity. Once they see that neither is a threat, no predators and prey together for instance, then they can peacefully exist together. Do provide separation in a large open area so they can get away if they choose. I use excelsior for hiding in and small boxes on their sides and open on one side so a quail or two can hide inside. I have my fantail cages sort of in the middle but to the side of the aviary space. Many of my quail like to stay along the side of the cages between the aviary side wire. They stare out at the chickens, watching all the commotion. Good luck and I, for one, think it will work out well for you. Put some tree and plant brush inside too, they like to hide in it.

Back
Top Bottom