coturnix quail eggs Q?

Just had a hatch, two chicks had zipped but were in there for 2 days they were making progress so I didn't help but then I decided to help them out they had curly toes that were beyond fixing and I had to euthanize them.

QUESTION:

So curly toes are because the chick is in the egg to long and become deformed?

Quote:
heres a link for fixing spraddle leg

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

as far as curled toes if they are fully formed and just curled a bit then get a bandaid and a small square of paper the size of the chickens foot. place the chicks foot onit and adhere it to the paper with the bandaid. change it as it gets dirty but in a few weeks the birdy will be just fine might havea slight limp sometimes but it hasnt happened much with ones i treated

So you're saying that they pip the shell and then die? Or they get to day 15-ish and then die? Either way, it's probably your incubator temp or the humidity. Fluctuations during the hatch will often cause the chicks to die in the shell.

Quote:
Curly toes can be caused from the chick being in the shell too long (more like the chick is fighting too hard to get out of the shell). Another reason would be the health of the breeder stock.

Curled toes is very easy to fix, the band-aid method works, but it is very difficult to do on a small quail chick. Gently stretching the toes several times during the day is said to help, as is keeping the chicks on 1/4" wire for the first few days.

Quote:
heres a link for fixing spraddle leg

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

as far as curled toes if they are fully formed and just curled a bit then get a bandaid and a small square of paper the size of the chickens foot. place the chicks foot onit and adhere it to the paper with the bandaid. change it as it gets dirty but in a few weeks the birdy will be just fine might havea slight limp sometimes but it hasnt happened much with ones i treated

thanks for the leenk i tryed that on one of my coturnix chicks that can out like that (got3 in total like that) but we i make it stand he flips over and can't get up?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom