Coturnix Quail foot BROKEN OFF - ADVICE NEEDED

Thank you all for the information!
Sadly her foot was connected only by a thin amount of skin, so I carefully removed her foot with sharp scissors (the foot was mostly off, so it took no effort to remove). Then I held her and pressed cornstarch to her wound for about 20 or so minutes.

The bleeding seems to have stopped, she is panting a bit here and there which is concerning.

I am going to clean out a pet carrier for her to stay in. I will use paper towel as litter to try and keep her wound safe.

@alinas2010 I will give her sugar water and eggs!
@Chikenshiken Sadly I am unable to take her to a vet, I don't believe any vets around me take quails
@scyllarus @WoDia She is a pet quail. As long as she isn't suffering, I am willing to give her extra care as a disabled quail. But if I have to, I will cull her to prevent suffering ... I've had her for 2 years, she is the friendliest quail I own, she loves being pat which is so cute <3

When should I disinfect her wound? Her bleeding seems to have stopped, but I don't want to accidentally rush it and make it bleed again.

I will keep everyone posted,

Sadly her foot was connected only by a thin amount of skin, so I carefully removed her foot with sharp scissors (the foot was mostly off, so it took no effort to remove). Then I held her and pressed cornstarch to her wound for about 20 or so minutes.

The bleeding seems to have stopped, she is panting a bit here and there which is concerning.

I am going to clean out a pet carrier for her to stay in. I will use paper towel as litter to try and keep her wound safe.

@Chikenshiken Sadly I am unable to take her to a vet, I don't believe any vets around me take quails
@scyllarus @WoDia She is a pet quail. As long as she isn't suffering, I am willing to give her extra care as a disabled quail. But if I have to, I will cull her to prevent suffering ... I've had her for 2 years, she is the friendliest quail I own, she loves being pat which is so cute <3

When should I disinfect her wound? Her bleeding seems to have stopped, but I don't want to accidentally rush it and make it bleed again.

Cleaning it shouldn’t cause it to start bleeding again as bleeding stops through clotting or scabbing. Things like veterycin and neosporin should be a good bet for now however I am worried that if the leg is very broken you will have to amputate it because I have had a duck with a (unknowingly to me) had a broken leg after a raccoon attack and I had been treating him only to find that he had contract gangrene from the broken limb and had to be euthanized at the vet.

My second duck has two bent legs from the same attack and lives a good life it is very possible to keep your quail as special needs

She is likely panting because of the pain and discomfort. I would gently rinse as soon as possible and then slather in some sort of antibiotic ointment (make sure it has no pain reliever in it). Treat for shock also if you have not already, often that will kill before anything else. Sounds like you made the right choice by severing the foot. Others have mentioned wrapping the stump with gauze and vet wrap after you apply ointment, that may be alright for now (if you can manage to get her to cooperate) since the wound is so tender and fresh.

@alinas2010 gave you some good advice. If you can get her to a vet asap, it is BEST. It does not look like the foot can be saved. The bone and joint are fully exposed. And, it doesn’t look like there’s enough skin to put back in place to heal over. It’s already been exposed to air and bacteria. If this quail is a pet, it can live without the foot. I’m NOT going to advise you on how to handle this. I will ONLY tell you what I’ve done myself (but, I’ve had poultry and game birds for decades)… I amputated cleanly at the joint, stopped the bleeding entirely, rinsed well with saline, applied non-pain relief triple antibiotics, bandaged, and separated with food water vitamins and heat during the entire healing process. I monitored very closely. And, I did all of this often to avoid and watch for infection. This is a very serious injury. Ultimately, you must consider her quality of life. If you try to save the foot in the condition it is now, a life-ending infection will very likely develop. You don’t want her to suffer that way either. Some may say to euthanize. I’m one for giving chances IF I believe one of mine has a good chance of living out its life with a disability. All of mine are pets to me. Yours may not be, so your decision may be to not save. Sorry you have to make that decision, and I’m sorry about your quail. 😞❤️
☝️ Good post.

The only thing I have to add at this time, is if you have any antibiotics on hand, let us know what you have. Since bone is involved, I would recommend an antibiotic.

Since the foot is removed, are you seeing any exposed bone or is skin/tissue covering it all?

Also, updated photos of what it looks like now.

I'm sorry this happened.

Sorry for the late reply everyone! I was extremely busy today.

I soaked her wound in an Epsom Salt bath for 5 - 10 mins (I meant to soak her foot longer, but the water turned red and I incorrectly thought she started bleeding again, so I took her out of the water for a bit, so I am unsure exactly how long she was in the water (the water turned red from the cornstarch on her foot).

Afterwards I saw a bit of protruding exposed bone, so I trimmed it to be level with her leg, then drenched her wound with Vetericyn Plus.

Then I replaced the paper towel in her cage.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of her wound.

She isn't panting right now which is great and has been eating just fine.

I will keep you guys posted. Thank you all very much for the valuable info.

Sorry for the late reply everyone! I was extremely busy today.

I soaked her wound in an Epsom Salt bath for 5 - 10 mins (I meant to soak her foot longer, but the water turned red and I incorrectly thought she started bleeding again, so I took her out of the water for a bit, so I am unsure exactly how long she was in the water (the water turned red from the cornstarch on her foot).

Afterwards I saw a bit of protruding exposed bone, so I trimmed it to be level with her leg, then drenched her wound with Vetericyn Plus.

Then I replaced the paper towel in her cage.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of her wound.

She isn't panting right now which is great and has been eating just fine.

I will keep you guys posted. Thank you all very much for the valuable info.
Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment, vet wrap and gauze?

I recommend that the leg be wrapped so the wound doesn't get soiled.

Apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to the wound, add a small square of non stick gauze or pad to the "stump" end for protection and cushioning, then wrap with vet wrap.

You'll want to clean the wound and change the dressing at least once daily.

Good morning everyone.
My pet quail (her name is Friend) is still eating normally and is not panting. She is also surprisingly walking/flapping around a lot on my lap.
I have took some pictures of her enclosure and her wound.
How bad does the wound look to you guys? You can see bone which is concerning ... I am going to drench her wound with Vetericyn then put there back in her enclosure. Thank you for your time.
IMG_20240514_080609.jpg
IMG_20240514_080132.jpg
IMG_20240514_080548.jpg
IMG_20240514_080539.jpg
IMG_20240514_080533.jpg
IMG_20240514_080516.jpg
IMG_20240514_080459.jpg
IMG_20240514_080923.jpg
IMG_20240514_080938.jpg

Good morning everyone.
My pet quail (her name is Friend) is still eating normally and is not panting. She is also surprisingly walking/flapping around a lot on my lap.
I have took some pictures of her enclosure and her wound.
How bad does the wound look to you guys? You can see bone which is concerning ... I am going to drench her wound with Vetericyn then put there back in her enclosure. Thank you for your time.View attachment 3831429View attachment 3831436View attachment 3831430View attachment 3831431View attachment 3831432View attachment 3831433View attachment 3831434View attachment 3831428View attachment 3831426
Sorry if I missed something but did you amputate the limb?

It’s bad but definitely not as bad as her having an entirely broken limb attached to her, so I hope she’s able to heal! Have you been wrapping the wound? I am happy to see that it looks to be clean from infection so far but wrapping it can insure no debris reach the wound.

Some ointments/sprays like betadine and neosporin can really help prevent infection. Is she eating and drinking properly? Has she been moving around at all?

Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment, vet wrap and gauze?

I recommend that the leg be wrapped so the wound doesn't get soiled.

Apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to the wound, add a small square of non stick gauze or pad to the "stump" end for protection and cushioning, then wrap with vet wrap.

You'll want to clean the wound and change the dressing at least once daily.
^ Yes, agreed. This is what I did for my one legged duck.

Back
Top Bottom