Coturnix Quail Foot Fungus?

_ChickenQuail_

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
So I recently noticed one of my female quail walking funny, and not drinking and eating as often as she should. So I took a look at her and found the strangest thing ever. It looks like some sort of fungus that has been crusted over by poop or some other substance. I can see dark blood on her foot, but the stuff covers it. I tried gently tugging at it, but she thrashed wildly and so I stopped. I don't think it'll come off. She seems very miserable, so what should I do? Her feet are purple because I put an anti-fungal medicine on them- I figured that if it didn't do any good that would be fine, but better to try, right? I hope it doesn't ruin the picture. The top of her foot, in between two of the toes, is also purple (not thanks to the medicine) and swollen. Excuse the massive picture sizes- I included a picture of the medicine I used and her foot.
TsLwVGK.jpg

2sGk3k6.jpg

Yes that is bumblefoot. Get the bird off wire and on some soft bedding. If she will deal with it, try soaking her feet in warm epsom salt water for 5 or 10 mins a day. Slather on Prep H or even Neosporin (without the pain killer) and keep her on grass hay for a while. Unlike big chicken pads, its very difficult to do bumblefoot surgery on tiny quail feet.

Okay, thank you very much, TwoCrows! I'm going to do that when I get home tomorrow. I did look up bumblefoot as one of the first things, but none of the pictures looked close to her foot.

Back
Top Bottom