Coturnix Quail hatched her own eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jmstevens, Dec 5, 2014.

1. coturnixlover

coturnixlover Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    I have a 3 males and 12 females in a outside shed that is 2 m ×2 m and there is lots of grass.Is that ok and must I leave the eggs there. will post a pic

2. coturnixlover

Nov 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. jmstevens

jmstevens Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi Cherinbahamas of the BBB club - hahahaha!
    I really do think (hope) that it's possible to breed broodiness back and will be keeping myself busy doing some trials with these babes. I have a freind with completely different stock and he's willing to loan me some males to do some trials with my girls. It's worth a go.
    I have raised some under lights in the past and I have to say: - having the bird do all the work is SO much easier lol. No stressing about temp and light levels etc.

Re the colours - the mum is the brown wild (pharaoh) colour as shown in the earlier pics and the dad is a golden (I think it's called Manchurion) colour with brown flecks..
    Here he is shown below kicking over his food container to get away from the camera:
    [​IMG]

4. jmstevens

jmstevens Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi Couturnixlover, maybe some other people on here would be able to help answer your query about keeping them on grass?
    I know that mine love to dustbathe and don't like the damp too much so I don't know that grass would be ideal? Really not too sure though - if they seem happy, then that's what matters most.

Re the eggs. I did leave the eggs there and it seemed to help with her becoming broody - I know that if you leave eggs with chooks it can kick off their broodiness gene. Wishing you all the best.

5. coturnixlover

Nov 22, 2014
    When I came to my girl and I watched her she doesn't sit on the eggs for long periods will post pic when I can

6. coturnixlover

Nov 22, 2014
    Hi jimstevens I actualy keep the quail on river sand its only that corner that is covered with grass

1 person likes this.
  7. coturnixlover

Nov 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. coturnixlover

Nov 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

9. RumAndCoconuts

RumAndCoconuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Great Exuma, Bahamas
    I am still waiting for my hens to start laying, they are ten weeks old now but being in the northern hemisphere our days are still a little short even though we are smack dab on the Tropic of Cancer,
    We are currently building a more natural pen, it will give about 2-3 sq ft per bird and will have the natural ground under their feet and a few plants about. I will try to get it as natural environment as I can and will take tips from others about the nesting materials, maybe leaving eggs for a bit and see if I can get some hatching as well.
    I guess that is putting the cart before the horse though as they're not even lay in yet. :p

Would love to see if this broody thing could be turned around.

10. RumAndCoconuts

RumAndCoconuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Great Exuma, Bahamas

Love this. Could you post a photo of your entire pen? I bet you've got some happy birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by