Coturnix Quail Hatching Question

Sleek28

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
Hi Y’all!
So my Coturnix quail hen has started laying fertilized eggs. I collect them everyday, so she doesn’t have the opportunity to sit on her eggs. If I️ left them in there, would she go broody and sit on them? I’m new to Coturnix quail so I’m not quite sure if they are good parents.
Thanks!

Hi Y’all!
So my Coturnix quail hen has started laying fertilized eggs. I collect them everyday, so she doesn’t have the opportunity to sit on her eggs. If I️ left them in there, would she go broody and sit on them? I’m new to Coturnix quail so I’m not quite sure if they are good parents.
Thanks!
most don't go broody in my experience, but there are some people who have had some broody quails. you can certainly try though.

most don't go broody in my experience, but there are some people who have had some broody quails. you can certainly try though.
X2 Coturnix quail can go broody and its not impossible especially if you’re encouraging it with a very natural setting but it can be quite rare and many people don’t try after a while because nothing happens. :)

I know someone who is 2 for 2 on getting his coturnix hens to sit on eggs. He is also 2 for 2 on having the hens abandon the chicks once hatched.

It does appear the breed has lost its natural instincts to procreate.
Thanks, I’ll have to try it. I️ don’t mind if I️ have to raise them, as long as she hatched them.

I have a line of quail I've been working with that consistently raise their chicks to adulthood. These photos are of all the same clutch and hen.

broody.jpg

quail_brood.JPG

quail_w_young.JPG

quail_chicks.JPG

Hi Y’all!
Thanks!
They do not have any maternal instinct to speak of and probably will not go broody and sit on eggs. This, to me, is a benefit, honestly. I always hated trying to get chickens and ducks off their nests. It made me feel very evil.

I’ve read online that you can put their eggs under a bantam chicken to be hatched, but I wouldnt trust it. A guy I spoke to in real life said he tried that, and ended up with broken eggs.

Quail eggs are very Delicate. Best just to put them in an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom