Coturnix Quail ID

Jedwards

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

I'm new to hatching coturnix quail outside of the regular colors like Italian, pharaoh, and a&m. Last night I had some early birds on day 16 and this morning about 2/3 of the eggs have hatched. from what I can tell I can ID 3/6 color varieties. I can ID the pharoah, italian and a&ms. So my question is what are these colors? I have some guesses but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks!

The possible colors are supposed to be: Silver, Pharoah, Texas a&m, Orange cream, Tibetan dark/red/rosetta?, golden/Italian, pied and tuxedo. So pretty much everything haha. I tried to look on that awesome thread on here "Coturnix Pics Galore" for the pictures of the chicks but the pictures aren't showing up :(

1) Tibetan/Red/Rosetta?
image2.jpeg

2) Tibetan? Dark? Black legs and beak
image4.jpeg

3) Italian/Golden on the left but on the right?? Real faint stripes.
image1.jpeg

4) There's also some that are just plain yellow like the A&m/English whites are but I was wondering if that could be silver/orange cream as well..?

Thanks again everyone!! :)

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 5
The top I think is a red, 2nd is tibetan, 3rd is italian, and 4th I have seen quail that are a gold in color maybe this is this.

It's very difficult, especially when people start making up names (I haven't heard of orange cream before :lol: - sounds yum)! Do update with some adult photos. Enjoy them because they grow up so fast. :love

It's very difficult, especially when people start making up names (I haven't heard of orange cream before :lol: - sounds yum)! Do update with some adult photos. Enjoy them because they grow up so fast. :love
thanks! All these fancy colors are new to me ha ha. Had another hatch that is a mix of colors might post a pic of that too. That one might be a mystery

We love seeing photos of cute little quail chicks so post away. I've had some hatch that look like Italians as chicks but they feather out as spotty chested gold boys flecked with red.

Generally any yellow baby fluff is going to be pure white adult feathers. Has always held true for me. My silver/grey birds started with silver/grey fluff. Any bird I have that has any white on it as an adult had yellow fluff as a baby. Hope that helps.

My yellow ones turned out as silver or a&ms. In my original, 3rd pic the one on the right that looked like the golden chick with light stripes turned out an orange/tan.

A,&m
image.png

Golden and a pharaoh
image.png

Rosetta?
image.png

Tibetan?
image.png

Orange?
image.jpeg

Silver?
image.jpeg