Coturnix Quail Laid a Green Egg

momo18clara

Songster
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
Missouri
So I've had Coturnix for about a year now. They are all laying great and seem healthy, but today one of them laid a GREEN egg. It is so green I almost would have thought someone colored it if I didn't know better. I don't really mind if they lay a green egg every once in awhile, but I'm pretty sure green quail eggs are not normal. Is this a sign of a health problem? Does anyone know why the egg is green? They get game bird feed, bird seed, and grit.

Never seen that I and do not know what to tell you.

My oldest hen is now two years old and since her 3rd spring she is laying gigantic, brown eggs regulary! Eggs are still good and fertile.

Omg ..I don't know what to tell you.... that's the first time I see that..... try incubating it... maybe you'll get achick with the same gene as the mom and lay green eggs too... it may become a new breed of quail like the easter Eggers in chickens who lays greenish eggs.... but as you said it might be a disease. ...

Interesting.
I've gotten the odd weird colored egg, a few dark brown ones, one frosted blue.
There is a quail breeder in my area who has a line of quail that lay fairly bright blue eggs, some a blue base color with brown spots over them and some the usual beige with blue spots. From what they said both have proven out through subsequent generations.
If you never get another like it I wouldn't worry about a random odd ball egg, however if you get eggs like that consistently I would narrow down which hen it is and try to line breed and see if it's genetic just for curiosity's sake.
As long as the shell is normal, not thin or overly thick, lumpy or otherwise odd consistency then color shouldn't be any kind of indication of a problem. Eggs can be odd colored on odd eggs that were laid, my dark brown eggs all had thin/soft shells, and I've had dip-dyed looking eggs that were odd shapes. Again, if the egg is normal I wouldn't worry about a problem with the hen.
Pretty awesome looking little egg, I'd be interested to see if you get more.

Cheers,
Jessie

Which begs the question: did she lay it on that green plant in the first picture? That would be shocking if she's camouflaging her eggs because she's laying them on green plants.

Well, I`m thinking it was just an anomaly because I've never gotten one before, but who knows. As long as its not a sign of disease or something, I guess it doesn't really matter. Who knows, maybe I have easter egg quail!
lol.png

could be a sign of copper? copper turns green or maybe iron in the water or food?
pretty thing anyway.
It could be copper or iron I suppose. I'm not really sure where they'd get it, but their grit is just the sand from our creek, so maybe it was in there. The water`s from the outdoor pump.
This is an interesting take on the color of the eggs.

I believe this is the full article: http://magblog.audubon.org/quail-use-camouflage-keep-their-eggs-safe

Which begs the question: did she lay it on that green plant in the first picture? That would be shocking if she's camouflaging her eggs because she's laying them on green plants.
Hmm, very interesting article. I don't really think thats what it is because they live in a wire cage off the ground, but that may explain the blue tinted eggs they sometimes lay in their blue dust bath.

I know this is old, but one of mine laid one today.
View attachment 2971183View attachment 2971184
The celadon gene produces blue/green eggs. A bird with 2 copies of celadon lays blue eggs, a bird with one copy lays a normal speckled egg, but when opened, the egg shell is usually blue inside. This egg looks like an egg laid by a celadon carrier, that didn’t get the bloom (aka paint job). I’m guessing some type of stress was involved, like she was startled and passed an egg early, or whatever, but if she doesn’t lay another, I wouldn’t worry, this happens from time to time. If she keeps laying these, it may indicate issues in the reproductive system and she may need vet care, but usually it’s a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom