coturnix quail rooster complications and confusion with fighting

therandomhatcher

Chirping
Apr 2, 2021
I have 3 adult quail and 10 young quail, all of which I hatched. For the adult quail, I have 2 males and 1 female. At five weeks, one male ripped the skin off the other male's head. I could literally see him thinking. They are separated now and I keep the female with the male that got up. He is a bit more mellow. I was wondering if I have around 7 females in with the mean male, if I could put more males in with it?

General rule is about 6 females per male.

You'd probably have better luck with a big group of females and your favorite male, and then a batchlor pad.

Or just cull the aggressive ones

I normally keep about 10-12 hens and 2 Roos together in 24 sq ft. Some males won’t get along tho, and if yours have already started a grudge, they might not go well together.

I have 3 adult quail and 10 young quail, all of which I hatched. For the adult quail, I have 2 males and 1 female. At five weeks, one male ripped the skin off the other male's head. I could literally see him thinking. They are separated now and I keep the female with the male that got up. He is a bit more mellow. I was wondering if I have around 7 females in with the mean male, if I could put more males in with it?
Possibly a male can have 5 or 6 females but however some males may still be aggressive and keep all the females and maybe neglect to breed with some

Back
Top Bottom