Coturnix vs Button Quail - We were scammed and now need to know the difference

askem

Songster
May 20, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi all!

So about 3 weeks ago, we bought four baby "button" quail. Well, turns out they are Coturnix Quails - not buttons! A huge bummer for us, but we still love our quail and want to take care of them to the best of our abilities. (yes, we were scammed 😭 I've never seen quail in person and this lady seemed really trustworthy... lesson learned)

What are the major differences in Coturnix and Button Quail, besides size? What should I know for the Coturnix that I need to do/not do that I read to do for the buttons?

Basically, here's how they're set up:
- In a large bin
- We turned off the red light a few days ago, when they turned 3 weeks old
- They are eating a high protein game bird starter
- They are provided with fresh water multiple times a day
- They are provided with oyster shell
- They have a place to hide, but I need to get a bigger one as they've quickly outgrown this one and only 2 can comfortably fit in it.

We ordered 6 more "button" quail from their breeder, to be delivered in 2 weeks. We've already paid her, or else I would cancel the order. I know if we end up with the wrong number of males we will need to cull some, but is 10 a good number?

Here's pictures of the darkest one, the other three are a lighter brown!

quail.jpg
quail3.jpg

There’s good and bad in this whole dilemma. If you want 10 or basically more than just a pair, buttons would be much more difficult because they should be housed in pairs or small same sex groups.

Coturnix can be easily housed in larger groups. The ideal ratio is 1 male for 3-5 females. They should be provided 1-2 square feet of space per bird, for 10 birds you would want 15-20 sq ft ideally, and provide lots of individual hides, houses, tubes etc to hide in and break line of sight in a chase.

While buttons are smaller, this comes at the cost of being less hardy. Coturnix can be kept outdoors even in the winter in most places, I believe 50 degrees is about the cold limit for buttons.

Buttons are considered ornamental birds, their eggs are very small, and while edible, most people find it too time consuming to prepare button eggs, the juice is not worth the squeeze so to speak.

There’s good and bad in this whole dilemma. If you want 10 or basically more than just a pair, buttons would be much more difficult because they should be housed in pairs or small same sex groups.

Coturnix can be easily housed in larger groups. The ideal ratio is 1 male for 3-5 females. They should be provided 1-2 square feet of space per bird, for 10 birds you would want 15-20 sq ft ideally, and provide lots of individual hides, houses, tubes etc to hide in and break line of sight in a chase.

While buttons are smaller, this comes at the cost of being less hardy. Coturnix can be kept outdoors even in the winter in most places, I believe 50 degrees is about the cold limit for buttons.

Buttons are considered ornamental birds, their eggs are very small, and while edible, most people find it too time consuming to prepare button eggs, the juice is not worth the squeeze so to speak.
Thanks for that information! That's good to know about the winter thing.... I never knew that about the buttons! I'm in Florida so it doesn't get terribly cold, but for a few days in the winter it can drop into the 30s. Will the Coturnix be okay?

Thanks for that information! That's good to know about the winter thing.... I never knew that about the buttons! I'm in Florida so it doesn't get terribly cold, but for a few days in the winter it can drop into the 30s. Will the Coturnix be okay?
It was 9 degrees here for over 2 weeks and my Coturnix acted like they had no idea it was cold. They are very cold hardy and I think people keep them outside in Canada without issues, if they live outside year round, they will naturally adjust as the weather changes. in Florida they shouldnt have any issues in the winter, but you may need to provide them frozen water bottles to snuggle against in the summer heat.

It was 9 degrees here for over 2 weeks and my Coturnix acted like they had no idea it was cold. They are very cold hardy and I think people keep them outside in Canada without issues, if they live outside year round, they will naturally adjust as the weather changes. in Florida they shouldnt have any issues in the winter, but you may need to provide them frozen water bottles to snuggle against in the summer heat.
Got it.. thank you! Yes it gets very hot here in the summer, we will provide frozen water bottles :)

I'm late to this, but you may actually have been dealt a lucky hand by getting scammed, in terms of bird hardiness! (I mean this completely sarcastically, as I actually had the same thing happen to me-thought I had buttons, wound up with Coturnix-small world!)

Good news-the eggs are much bigger so you'll be able to eat them!

Coturnix are excellent beginner quail because they are TOUGH. They can bounce back from injury, heat, cold, and basically anything else life throws at them unless its overtly damp or windy. Both of those conditions they hate.

Just make sure you have the right 1 male to 4-5 female ratio, as they will let you know if it is wrong!

For the heat, frozen water bottles as said before work great, I also use poultry electrolytes, (I use Durvet) when it is very, very warm. I live in Wisconsin so I get the extremes of both severe cold and heat, and my flock has yet to lose a soul to weather. In the summer, I try to interact with my flock as little as possible on VERY hot days (think 102-110!) besides refilling water and checking to make sure no one is panting, and limit handling until it is dusk or not peak heat.

For the winter, hay piles they can snuggle into (Timothy hay) or cardboard boxes with bird-safe wood shavings keep them toasty, and especially with it only getting to 30 I wouldn't be too worried. My rule of thumb is the if the water in the cage isn't frozen, neither will be the birds! :) Just provide plenty of nesting material and again be very conscious that they have places without drafts and they will do great.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom