Coturnix white egg?

Jenquail

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2019
I have a 4 month old coturnix quail that has only laid wild type eggs. She gets 21% chicken starter crumbles a mealworm or two, greens and grit daily. Water is dechlorinated overnight with the addition of ACV here and there.

I was expecting to possibly find an egg without a shell one day, it hasn't happened as of yet. I was not aware that she she would lay a dull pure white egg! I guess I could wait until tomorrow to see if she does it again, but I'm curious to know if this is caused by she's lacking something in her diet, stress, circadian rhythm or just random?

Attachments

• 20190925_222322.jpg
    20190925_222322.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 67
One of mine laid a white egg just like it before taking a 2-3 week laying break. I think it might just be a sign of the system shutting down. As long as she has access to calcium, though, it shouldn’t be a cause for concern!

One of mine laid a white egg just like it before taking a 2-3 week laying break. I think it might just be a sign of the system shutting down. As long as she has access to calcium, though, it shouldn’t be a cause for concern!
That's interesting. I had never seen that before. I haven't seen any signs of her slowing down egg production at all. It's fall and the days are getting shorter, so I've expected to see her not laying every day now. My primary purpose of having her is to be a lovely pet. I've actually tried to stop or slow her by cutting her daylight hours gradually. I'm sure that she will when she moults though. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Here is a picture of her perfectly white egg amongst her usual speckled eggs. I've actually been told since that all eggs start out white and the colour is added just before it's laid. I guess she laid it before she had time to decorate it ☺

Attachments

• 20191017_141115.jpg
    20191017_141115.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 15
Here is a picture of her perfectly white egg amongst her usual speckled eggs. I've actually been told since that all eggs start out white and the colour is added just before it's laid. I guess she laid it before she had time to decorate it ☺

My quail(kept indoors as a household pet) had those eggs for a while(pure white to skyblue, with occassional uneven colored spots), then she dropped some soft shell/shelless eggs before she eventually got egg bound. Imao those off colored eggs are kind of normal if it happens once or twice, especially before slowing down of egg production(just before molt/winter) but you need to pay attention because it might be a warning for the hen's health risks. Personally I would givr her extra calcium and vitaminD as a caution. Sometimes 'all you can eat' ground oyster shells are not enough. I learned that the hard way.

My quail(kept indoors as a household pet) had those eggs for a while(pure white to skyblue, with occassional uneven colored spots), then she dropped some soft shell/shelless eggs before she eventually got egg bound. Imao those off colored eggs are kind of normal if it happens once or twice, especially before slowing down of egg production(just before molt/winter) but you need to pay attention because it might be a warning for the hen's health risks. Personally I would givr her extra calcium and vitaminD as a caution. Sometimes 'all you can eat' ground oyster shells are not enough. I learned that the hard way.
Thank you for your reply. I've definitely been keeping an eye on it. Nothing strange since thankfully. She has 1% calcium in her crumbles and I leave out grit and baked crushed eggshells. I also feed a variety of greens daily. I'm very sorry to hear about your little one. That's very sad.

Back
Top Bottom