Coughing hen???

ChickChick0811

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 16, 2011
I have a hen that makes a squeaky sound every time she drinks water. I would say it was a squeaky cough sound?? So hard to explain. I only ever hear her do it when she drinks so I'm not sure why she does it. She started doing it in the past few weeks and thinking the water was a bit cold I tried warm water, but she still does it. Should I be concerned since I have 4 other hens with her?

I got some stuff called VetRx. It has several uses. But can use it for colds. I put some on my hens legs cause they look scaly. I also dripped some around in there coop. It smells like mentholatum. I haven't been seeing as much sneezing going on. So maybe it is helping. Might give it a try and see how it works for your chickens.

Thanks guys! Nothing other than doing it when they drink. No discharge from anywhere and all are running around and acting as if nothing is wrong. I never go near my coop if I have been anywhere (including the feed store) without changing my sneakers and coat. Its so weird! I wish I knew how to post a video to here so you guys can hear it.
barnie.gif

OK this is a video I found on you tube. It is the BO that is sneezing is EXACTLY what my BO sounds like!

Should I be worried?? I can't find that stuff anywhere?

I have two hens making the same noise. The link to you-tube was a good idea. It is hard to describe the cough/weeze. My hens seem healthy so far except for the cough. Only two out of the 16 hens are coughing. I have subscribe to this post hoping for some other info. Do chickens get colds like humans and you just wait till it runs the course. I have thought of trying yogurt supplement to some warm mash. I believe I have read this can be good for chickens? My hens are 9 months old. This is my first flock. I just cleaned off their poop board and everything looked "normal".

Chickens do NOT get colds. It may be the bedding because you changed the pen. There is always dust and dirt in the air.

I have two hens making the same noise. The link to you-tube was a good idea. It is hard to describe the cough/weeze. My hens seem healthy so far except for the cough. Only two out of the 16 hens are coughing. I have subscribe to this post hoping for some other info. Do chickens get colds like humans and you just wait till it runs the course. I have thought of trying yogurt supplement to some warm mash. I believe I have read this can be good for chickens? My hens are 9 months old. This is my first flock. I just cleaned off their poop board and everything looked "normal".

If you see no other symptoms, it may be enviromental. Excessive dust, and bedding that has gotten wet can cause it. It can get moldy, and release spores fast. Even if it is not immediately obvious. Some hens just seam to more prone than others. Especially when they are eating or drinking.

Back
Top Bottom