Coughing, sneezing, wheezing chicken with no runny nose

llacey3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Zanesville, Ohio
HELP!! I have a hen that is coughing, sneezing and wheezing with no runny nose. Any suggestions on what I can do? She was introduced to CRD and has been treated for it a few months ago. Is this the respiratory issue flaring up again? She was given tylan 50 powder the first time. Should I give her tylan 50 injectable or go stronger to the 200? Thanks
263a.png

Bronchitis usually doesn't come back, although the chickens are carriers for up to a year. Your sounds more like mycoplasma (MG or CRD.) It also could be something else such as coryza or ILT, and others, and testing is the only way to know for sure.Other diseases or bacteria can become secondary infections which complicate things. Those diseases can come back in times of stress, and your whole flock remains carriers for life until all birds are gone. Tylan 50 is good for treatment of symptoms. Tylan 200 is 4 times as strong, and not necessary. Dosage of Tylan 50 is usually 1 ml daily for a 5 lb chicken for 3 days. This link is good to read to compare symptoms of respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom