Could “she” be a “he”?

Welcome into BYC! The BR is definitely a roo, and the BO is a hen! :)
Thanks! Now I have to think about some alternatives. Our town’s ordinance (called town but actually a good sized city) allows roosters but I’m not sure about our HOA. Plus I don’t want to disturb the neighbors if it decides to crow one day 🥲

Hi, I’ve been reading this site and noticed this is The most informative site regarding raising backyard chickens.

I recently became doubtful about one of my pullets. It’s a barred rock. I got both her and a buff Orpington at a local downtown backyard store as 3 day old chicks. Hatched on 4/1. So they’re around 19 weeks now. Neither laying yet.

The barred rock developed comb very early on and the comb now is huge and bright red! See pictures. Size wise she is almost the biggest among the five(the others are an old 9 yo RR, 6 months old ISA and an Australop both being laying since 17 and 19 weeks). Through online reading seems like Buff Orpington is a slow maturing breed so her comb is very small (see picture) and I don’t worry about it. It’s this barred rock I’m quite curious about. She doesn’t crow but does tend to make strange nosies and easily agitated.

Could she be somehow in between and infertile, or worse a rooster? :idunno:duc
Beautiful gorgeous Roo, lovely wattles 🥰

Have a soft spot for BR ❤️

Reporting back....so our landscaper agreed to take the BR cockerel:yesss:. But we didn't ask him what he would do with it...:rolleyes:.A number of years back he also took in an accidental cockerel we had; and a few months later he showed us a picture of a bunch of baby chicks! Wish the same for the BR.

Again, thanks everyone for identifying the chicken's gender.

Back
Top Bottom