Could a feral cat do this???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Race0185, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Race0185

Race0185 New Egg

Jun 4, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    I lost my first chicken 4 days ago a little banty d'uccle named Racer. Laid out some traps and have only caught a ferrel cat that had kittens in my pump house 10ft away from my run. Cat has been around didn't know about the kittens until 2 days ago. Both brought to the animal shelter. Ok description (not for the faint of heart) inside the coupe wing and back bone on the floor, under the coupe a leg and feathers, in the corner of the run breast bone and feathers, then 10 foot up in the tree i found what was left, head, wing, and her other foot. all the meat had been eaten and the insides.

I have had possem's in the yard in the past. Looking you your input on what you think could have done this.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    The cat may have been feeding on leftovers, but I don't think it would massacre a chicken and scatter like that - sounds like a raccoon or possum

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A hungry mother feral cat is fully capable of killing and eating a D'uccle bantam.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Not just bantams. I lost a total of 30 (white rocks) to feral and pet cats. Don't know if thats what got yours though.
    The cats that killed mine did it mostly for sport . Just killed 'em and left 'em except for 2 that were just missing. No sign of them anywhere.
    I have to admit though it was the former "pet" cat that caused the most damage. Killed for sport. At least a feral will eat what it kills.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I lost one Orp banty hen about a month ago to a feral cat, never did come back since then. It simply ate all the innards and a leg. Thought it was a coon but if it was, it would have gotten the rest of my chickens easily.

6. Race0185

Race0185 New Egg

Jun 4, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    ok for the update last night I caught a racoon 2 foot from my coupe. It was a pretty big racoon compared to the one's i have seen in the past. I hate keeping my chicks locked up until i can let them out in the morning. The coon almost destroyed my plywood trap and I had to do some repairs to it to get it ready for tonight. Now i know for sure they have racoons in my area so i will keep the trap set. I hope that was the only one because I hate having to deal with a trapped racoon or be forced to kill it because the trap was so destroyed I couldn't move it to relocate it.

Thanks for all the input

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    please don't relocate any predators.... you're just making it harder for the next guy to catch as it is now trap shy....

8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Doesn't sound like a cat to me. Many cats are afraid of chickens. It sound more like an opussum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by