Could Fiona really be Frank?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jadasmom, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jadasmom

jadasmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    I bought 6 chicks the beginning of October they ranged from a few days to a week old. One of the chicks that I call Fiona, seems to have grown a comb way sooner than all the rest of them. She was one of the week old chicks, but the other two are just starting theirs. She's quite the personality, she bullies the other girls around.

I've included a picture of her, & I was wondering if anyone can tell me if she might be a Frank rather than a Fiona. Or will I have to wait until she starts crowing to know?

[​IMG]

The city I live in doesn't allow roosters, but people have them. If she does wind up being a rooster, I'll keep her and hide her in the bathroom if animal control shows up.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    From the comb size, thick legs, and stance, I'd say that "she's" a "Frank".

3. Pnoah1

Pnoah1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    Some breeds tend to get a comb very quickly, also some hens like my Leghorn hen has a stance similar to this ones, the best way I would say to figure if this was a rooster is wait for a crow or look for the wattle (The wattle shows faster then on Hens that should confirm a rooster) which similar to the comb it helps attract mates and cools the bird down in the summer it drops from under the beak you may know what I speak of. I hope that helps you!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That's a male. Besides the large comb, speckled susses color in differently. It's hard to describe, but the males tend to have more white on the front part of the body at this age, the females' white is less and more evenly distributed.

5. jadasmom

jadasmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    He also has a waddle under his beak. I asked the older gentlemen that runs a local feed store, he has many many years of experience with chickens, and he looked at the picture and said "Yes, you have a rooster there". He said if my neighbors don't complain about 4 hens that make a fair amount of noise , I should be able to get away with a rooster. Fiona is now known as Reuben.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by