Could I keep a meatie there whole life in a tractor?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pringle, Oct 17, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    So I want to raise meaties next year,something like 20-25.My dad can easlily make a large tractor with tarp over it and stuff.And we plan on raising in late spring early summer so it isnt to cold.Would it be ok to keep a broiler in a tractor for 8 weeks moving it around every day(over like 5 acres)or would it be cruel of some sorts?

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I have heard of others doing just that. I think there is even a book about it.

Here is a link for it. Pastured Poultry Profits by Joel Salatin

Enjoy!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's how you make big, grass fed, tasty chicken.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, that's how most of us do it- a word of caution though, I'm not sure what the temps are in MA, but late summer may not be the best time to raise them. They are pretty sensitive to heat, and do better in spring/fall. Even in MI, mine were miserable when I tried them in the summer.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Just curious.

Can you start them outdoors from day 2-3(whenever they shipped in)??

They don't get cold or chilled?

Just curious. I'd love to raised some tractor meaties, didn't think they could be outside from day 1.

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, I wouldn't recommend that, although I wouldn't have recommended putting them out at two weeks like I did just the other day either. I'd say, if at all possible, raise them in a brooder until they are three weeks old. If it isn't possible, be sure they are insulated and warm with plenty of heat lamps. Mine are doing great. I have 75 of them in a 10x10 tractor. They will be three weeks old on Monday. I have the tractor covered with three tarps, and I also have three 250 watt bulbs covering 1/4 of the tractor. I am gradually moving their food and water further away from the heat, both to distribute the poo and so that they get used to the cold. I'm also giving them 24 hour food until they are three weeks old, as I think it keeps their body temps up when they keep eating. We are getting freezing temps every night in Michigan right now. After three weeks, according to Joel Saladin, they can be kept in freezing temps, but I still leave the lights on them in this weather.

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Got mine yesterday. They went straight into the tractor with thermostatically controlled heat source. First time I've ever ordered chicks and haven't lost at least 2 in the first 24 hours.
    Its been hot and humid here...........til yesterday. Temperature dropped almost 30 degrees (in about 2 hours) so I was quite concerned. So far, so good.

9. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    sorry I havent been on,thanks for the info.So how much space would a broiler need in a tractor?Id maybe let them out once in a while but not to sure if they would go anywere...

10. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I have been raising 2 batches of birds per year in a tractor. I'll get the first batch sometime between mid April to the beginning of May and the second batch is from mid August to the end of August. I tried something new for us, poultry fencing for the fall group. I'll be using the fencing in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by