Could i please get some information on Serama Chickens care?

Hello!!! Well my Serama Randy (full name Randal) he has really small legs ( like silkies) so I need to put a ladder type roost so he can climb to the top and sleep with the hens ( that are BIG) but other than that he eats, drinks, sleeps, runs with turkeys and ducks almost the same as my BIG chickens! (make sure they can reach their waterers!) heheh

But here's a Serama fanatic heheh!! Come over here please @fluffycrow thank you!!!
(talking to fluffycrow now) I would love to show you my boy-o Noodle, he's such a gentle-rooster and loves his chicks! He's also a Polish Frizzle!! :frow:cool::yesss::welcome:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:bun:jumpy:jumpy:bun:plbb:thumbsup:clap

I don't do anything to help them with roosting. They're my best fliers, and more than capable of getting to any roost. As for winter care, I've not overwintered with them yet. What are your temperatures? Here we don't get crazy temps, so I don't do anything crazy. @WoDia

I don't do anything to help them with roosting. They're my best fliers, and more than capable of getting to any roost. As for winter care, I've not overwintered with them yet. What are your temperatures? Here we don't get crazy temps, so I don't do anything crazy. @WoDia
Roosting…. I provide a few heights. My great flyers normally prefer the highest roosts, and my tinier hens (plus particular roosters) seem to enjoy a roost closer to the floor. As far as winter and my micro flock, I have my Seramas, Mille Fleur d’Uccles, bantam Silkies, Sebrights, and Porcelain d’Anvers in their own draft-free insulated building (not with standard breeds) where I actually have tin on the ceiling and the back wall to help retain heat. I have a wall-mount temperature-control heater with safety features for when it gets extremely cold during these Ohio winters. I take extra precautions with it by ensuring that it’s very secure and has a steep little ramp above it, so that a Serama can’t use the top of the heater as a roost. This tiny breed really can’t handle temperatures below 40 that well, without beginning to suffer. I’M STATING FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE ONLY. Other Serama parents will disagree with this, I know, but Seramas are tropical and teeny tiny birds that are fairly new to colder parts of the world. I’m an overprotective Serama Mamma, so I have never taken any chances with mine during freezing temperatures. If I didn’t have such a nice building (specifically built for them in mind) to house them, I’d have them in one of our garages or outbuildings to winter with supplemental heat during very nasty periods. I hope that something, in what I’ve provided, will be useful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom