Could I possibly have got salmonella poisoning ?

imperfectboi

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
I posted this on Facebook but I'm a worrier so I just want to make sure I get as many opinions as possible. So I'm pretty sure we got salmonella poisoning. I know you can get it from having ducks in the house but here's the thing. We've had people in and out of the house that have been fine. My nephew stayed with us while my boyfriend and I were both sick and he's fine. I've also been babysitting my friends 3 year old all week and he's fine. They have all been around the ducks as well. Two neighborhood friend's of my nephew came and stayed the night and they both got sick with the same exact symptoms as me and my boyfriend. One raided our kitchen the day before. So I was wondering if you guys knew how likely it would be for somebody to get sick from their ducks. Also if we do have it is it possible to pass it along to the ducks if we didn't get it from them ? The ducks as of right now and the past few days are alert, walking around just fine, eating great and seem healthy except for Jack's runny nose. My last question is how if at all possible could I go through my kitchen to find how we got it. I'll talk to the neighborhood kids mom later today and see if she can ask him all what he ate out of our kitchen and compare it to what me and my boyfriend ate. Oh and I should probably mention that he was near the ducks for a total of 15 minutes the entire time he was here. I obviously just want to make sure that everybody is healthy and safe and this doesn't happen again. That was the worst pain I've felt in a really long time. Thanks for all your help. Also I wanted to know what are the signs that a duck has salmonella. This has had me freaked out so bad. The house probably needed it anyway but I've done a super clean of the living room, wiped everything I could think of down with bleach wipes and and cleaned the bathroom with bleach wipes and Pine Sol. Thanks guys for your help. Oh one last thing I've noticed is that the ducks poop is usually fine except for these caramel colored dark shiny poops that really really stink. They like fill up a room stink.

Ah, yes, some call it the seventh poop, I believe. The occasional eye-burner. Normal. I think some also call it cecal poop.

About salmonella. It's around, reptiles often carry it. So can birds.

There are stomach viruses, and other bacteria that can cause this. So I would say that the likelihood is just as much for any of these causes.

It is always a good idea - and you know this - for anyone handling animals, and really, anyone doing anything - to wash their hands. Because there is just stuff around.

I know a few people who have recently had serious bouts with intestinal distress. Some folks are more susceptible to it.

Seems to me that to be sure, you would need to have your own feces tested. That would answer that question. As to the source of it, while the ducks could be, so could other things.

If you are washing your hands after handling the ducks I do not see how you could easily get salmonella from them. I admit, I am not a vet nor an m.d.

Sorry to hear something nasty is going around. Are you sure you and the others have symptoms of salmonella? From WebMD: Symptoms of salmonellosis include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps. They develop 12 to 72 hours after infection, and the illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days. Most people recover without treatment.

If it lasted fewer days than this, it might be coincidental food poisoning or stomach "flu" (which is not really a flu, just a stomach virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea for usually 48 hours or less). I know little kids spread the stomach flu because they are kept in large groups at daycare and school all day, so if one of them gets it, then others will surely get it and bring it home to their families and neighbors. In fact, my friends just got it from their baby who picked it up at day care.

That's really the best way to know, by comparing symptoms and like Amiga said having your own feces tested in a lab (very important if you have prolonged diarrhea!).

We kept our ducklings inside for the first 4 weeks, but now they are outside, so I don't necessarily know much about controlling disease if they are living in the house permanently. I just know to keep your hands washed after handling ducks and their mess, and of course never touch your face until you've washed your hands.

Just want to reiterate. A jury and judge need evidence. To treat illness a diagnosis is needed. I would not ignore the possibility but I would get lab work done on my body before developing a response.

There is a nasty stomach going through Texas that causes same symptoms. my whole family got it. if you keep their living quarters clean and got them from reliable source, its most likely just a bug. most salmonella issues come from industrial type breeders with hundreds of birds that don't practice proper husbandry

Back
Top Bottom