COuld it be? A pullet egg!?!?!

barredrockgrl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
I have three pullets right now; an Orpington, a Delaware, and a Barred Rock. They are 18 - 19 weeks old this week , I'm not positive because I bought them at a few months old. The Delaware and BO have very red combs, and the Delly has red wattles but is def. a girl. My two grown hens are bantams who lay very tiny eggs. The cochin is broody but lays in the nesting box when she does lay. The Silkie just got over being broody and insists on laying her eggs on the floor, not that she seems to be laying again.

Yesterday I pushed the broody cochin off the nest (I do it 1 - 2x a day) and she was sitting on an egg. I was happy that despite her 'tude she seemed to be laying again. Today I went to check and the nest she wasn't sitting on had an egg. I don't have any of her (other?) eggs to compare but these seem a little bigger and darker than I remember. Could it be one of my "little" girls is laying??
smile.png

Last edited:
I got quite a surprise this morning when I went out to clean the coop and deliver treats. My Silkie was up in a nesting box! I have no clue what would inspire her to lay in the proper place after months of laying on the coop floor. I collected her egg and told her she was a good girl.

Quote:
I tell my girls what a good job they're doing every time I find an egg I can identify as a particular pullets. I do have two white egg-layers, so I thank 'em both.... even when I only get one white egg. When I find an egg in the "wrong place" I still thank 'em, but I also gently chide the guilty one (if I can tell who it was). One of the benefits of having such a varied flock is that I usually CAN tell which egg came from which pullet or hen.

Sometimes the specific girl is right near by, and sometimes not. When she isn't, I'll still thank her in passing. (I even show her the egg in my gathering basket.)

Methinks I'm a tad bit odd..... but it was nice to see someone else thanked chickens!

Back
Top Bottom