Could it be bird flue

Laurel09

Chirping
Aug 15, 2019
Hie guys,

I have been seeing one of my cuckoo marans with its beak heavily soiled for some time now. So today I decided to check what was going on with her , I found that the soil was sticking to her beak because she was discharging a mucus like colourless fluid from her nostrils.

So far I haven't see any other signs of sickness or change in the hens behavior. She is still the most active one in the flock and she eats normally and is still laying 4 eggs per week as she usually does.

I need to know what could be the problem.

I was suspecting the morning temperatures which drop to around 12 degrees Celsius but in the late hours of the morning the temperature will back to usual 23-26 degrees Celsius

I haven't see any other signs of sickness or change in the hens behavior. She is still the most active one in the flock and she eats normally and is still laying 4 eggs per week as she usually does.

soil was sticking to her beak because she was discharging a mucus like colourless fluid from her nostrils.
She's active, laying eggs and eating/drinking well. No. She doesn't have Avian Influenza which is a usually a highly pathogenic respiratory disease, she would be very unwell.

The discharge from the nostrils could be from a number things - closing up the coop/poor ventilation, excess dropping in housing (ammonia), molds, changes in the weather and respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis or Mycoplasma are a few common causes.

If she has no other symptoms, then I would monitor her daily, keep the debris and mucous cleared away and see if it resolves in a few days.

She's active, laying eggs and eating/drinking well. No. She doesn't have Avian Influenza which is a usually a highly pathogenic respiratory disease, she would be very unwell.

The discharge from the nostrils could be from a number things - closing up the coop/poor ventilation, excess dropping in housing (ammonia), molds, changes in the weather and respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis or Mycoplasma are a few common causes.

If she has no other symptoms, then I would monitor her daily, keep the debris and mucous cleared away and see if it resolves in a few days.
I also discovered that the mucus seems be only discharged in the morning.

Thank for you help, greatly appreciated.

I also discovered that the mucus seems be only discharged in the morning.

Thank for you help, greatly appreciated.
If you are noticing it in the mornings - begin doing a bit of reading about ventilation - are you closing the coop up tighter at night since your weather is turning cooler - even in cold temperatures (winter) coops need ventilation so ammonia from droppings are removed.

If you are noticing it in the mornings - begin doing a bit of reading about ventilation - are you closing the coop up tighter at night since your weather is turning cooler - even in cold temperatures (winter) coops need ventilation so ammonia from droppings are removed.
I'm sure there is a lot of ventilation but i will try opening a little more vents

Back
Top Bottom