Could it be COCCIDIOSIS???

m&r

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
We've had our 6 chicks now for about 3 days and they are all eating and drinking well, but today I started to notice diarrhea in their brooder. We've been keeping them clean, changing out their beddings at least twice a day and keeping up with clean water, adequate food and so on. From what we have noticed, there is only one chick that has diarrhea but she is eating, drinking and flapping around like she's normal. This morning I noticed she had a bald spot and a little bump about an inch below her vent. I've kept each and every one of their bums clean as well. I've read just about everything concerning coccidiosis, but never anything about a bump below her vent. Any advice? I'm thinking about separating her from the others. Any information or advice is immensely appreciated! Here's a pic of her bald spot:

n618449095_1263368_3502.jpg

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif

I don't know what is wrong with your chick. You may want to separate it from the others until you get an answer.

I am going to bump you up. Hopefully you will get an answer. If you don't, comment back on this thread in the morning!!!

Cindy

i thought coccidiosis caused blood in stool. Are your chicks on a medicated feed? i'm not sure what that bump is, but it doesn't look too worrisome to me, meaning i've never seen anything like that and it doesn't look festery. Hopefully someone with more information will come along shortly.

They're on medicated feed and she doesn't scream bloody murder when I handle her. I could just be paranoid, this is my first time. But I will keep an eye on her for now.
fl.gif

You are good for keeping such a close eye. But not knowing if there is a problem, i would be encouraged that she is eating and drinking and acting normal. All i know to say is to keep up what you are doing - fresh water and food, clean bums and brooder, and just watch for now. Let us know how she is tomorrow, okay?

I find it rare that a bird die without showing signs that they don't feel well. Try some pro-biotics in the water, viatamins or with only a few gatorade. Bad belly=Pro-biotics:power punch, poultry nutri-drench we even punch the cats on occassion

Doesn't sound like Coccidiosis. The "bump" appears to be the Umbilicus. A Probiotic of some sort wouldn't hurt but I think the chick will be fine. Try to relax a little-they're much hardier than you might think.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm really glad a site like this is up and eager to help a beginner "Backyard Chickeneer" as I am!
wee.gif
I'll definitely try the probiotics. I also read that a little honey dissolved in their water could help them out as well.

Many thanks again everyone!!!

-Ria&Matt

Just a thought but have you noticed the chick picking at itself down there? Maybe it had sticky feathers from the hatch and as it is growing it would irritate. Did the chick dry out fluffy? I had a sticky chick in my last batch thought I was going to lose it, I gave it a warm shower under the faucet and then a dry warm towel. The chick perked up and came to live.

I noticed on most of the chicks there is usually some yolk around that area where the cord was sometimes I clean it off with a wet q-tip. Have not seen one pick yet but I think it is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom