could it be mites on his feet and shanks?

Wanex

Songster
5 Years
May 20, 2014
This has been going out since like a week ago but i dont know if its mites under his scales or if its just dry scales that i can cure with Vaseline. Please help me if it is mites under his scales give me an advice on how to completely get rid of them. Thanks

It looks like the start of leg mites. I believe 1 of our hens looked like this while another rooster and hen had it worse. If you treated right away, it may clear up quickly. We treated our hen for about 2 weeks and her legs looked very healthy after. The other 2 took much longer.

And may I ask, what did you treated them with? And should i clean all the chicken coop?

I cleaned the coop out, and sprinkled DE ( diamateous earth) in the bedding. I coated the legs with bag balm. vaseline i would think would work. The idea is to smother the bug. I scrubbed the more severe birds with a toothbrush to loosen dying scales. The hen that looked like yours, I didnt really need too. I would use the treatment you started 2 times a day . I also tried using a product called Scaley Leg Protector, I didnt find it effective in curing the visual symptom, but It was easy to apply (spray bottle) and i think it could prevent any spread, if you have other birds.

Thank you so much, i will do as you said in hope to get rid of that. Ill update the post as soon as i get rid of the mite. Again thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom