could it be that my hen is wanting to brood?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krstms, Oct 17, 2009.

1. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    I know it hasnt been long enough to really tell but she is acting different than usual. She is puffed up, though not mean and shrieking... this bird is a BO and as sweet as they come. Usually when she lays an egg she immediately gets out of the nest. This time I watched her lay her egg and then proceeded to roll it around with her beak until she got it just right and then she set on it. After watching her for a while I had a thought... what if I gave her the egg I just got from the other BO hen. I layed it gently in the nest beside her and she looked at it stood up and rolled it gently in with the other egg and then set down on them again. I watched her for a while and when I left she was still on them. Dare I hope? [​IMG] If she is still on them when I get eggs from the other couple of hens I'm gonna try to give them to her to. Man I hope this is it. [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    So sounds like she's thinking about it!

3. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Sounds like it to me..

4. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    False alarm. She's already off the nest. Shoot. I am really looking forward to a broody. Are they more likely to go broody in the spring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by