Could it still hatch?

Blue Ninja

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
The egg in question is a standard sized EE egg on day 24 under broody. Bantam egg from same setting hatched Sat at noon. My chickens all run together so dad could possibly be a bantam. I picked up egg from under broody to check it out and as I slowly turned it I felt a "plop" within the egg. I was never able to candle this egg successfully but it doesn't smell bad. Could it be a bantam sized chick in a standard egg? Should I "help?" Thanks for any opinions.

Quote:
My teacher had an egg like that when I was in elementary school.
All I remember is that egg did not hatch and they poked a hole in the top to help it along.
hu.gif
and the chick ended up being a tiny little thing inside this giant egg.
I really hope someone else can come along and help you!

You could float it in a glass of water and watch to see if you see movement. The water magnifies any movement. If there is no movement, you could then open up the aircell end and see if it is dead. You probably want to do the opening up outside, just in case...

x2

I have a bantam roo that I was crossing with my standard hens...never had a size problem for the chick being too small for the egg...but I imagine it's possible?

Thanks to all responders! I did the float test and saw no movement, but about 20% did float above water line. I painstakingly chipped away at that egg for 20 minutes and it was just a very liquid yolk sac. I am so glad it wasn't even fertilized. My heart was racing the entire time. And it just smelled like warm yolk. Win-win.

Back
Top Bottom