Could my chicken go blind?

catchick247

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
I just got home about fifteen minutes ago and went to check on the ladies. I have my one cuddly girl, Camilla, whom I picked up and noticed that her right eye is shut. I don't know how long it's been like this, but she isn't missing any feathers, no scratches, nothing. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it doesn't look to good. It seems she can still see out of it,
but I don't want it to get infected. Is there anything I can do for her?

It not cloudy, but it's got bubbles in it, from tears I'm assuming. It doesn't look dirty or anything

Perhaps she scratched it. You say she doesn't have any visible injuries. Was she doing anything different before you found her? Did she somehow hurt herself, though you can't find any wounds? I'm thinking that maybe she got something in it. There doesn't have to be dirt around the immediate area. What my mother did once when our chicks were constantly closing their eyes was take a cotton swab, wet it, and rub it gently around the eye. They slowly began to open.

Anyhow, good luck with your chicken. :)

It's possible that she got something in her eye that is causing major irritation. You can flush under the eyelids with saline solution (like the one sold for contact lenses at any pharmacy). Don't skimp on this, really flush it out the best you can. You can use polysporin eye drops for people to prevent or treat an infection. Usual dosage is one drop in the affected eye three times per day for a minimum of 7 days ( more often than not a 10 day treatment is needed)

Actually, I've noticed recently that she has dirt on her feathers. I thought it was from bathing, but maybe not. They've been like that for days. It's not swollen, but maybe that stage has already passed. I will try neosporin t

Being blind could certainly be a handicap, but there is every possibility that she will be able to live a happy and fulfilled life, even without being able to see.

If she just has dirt in her eyes, then flushing them out, like SquishyChick suggested, will definitely help. If she scratched her eyeball, somehow, she probably won't go blind, but she'd most likely not want to open her eye out of irritation and pain.

Most of the time eye issues clear up nicely as long as you clean out the offending object (dirt, sand, stick...) and keep up with treatment. Don't expect it to be better after only a few treatments, follow through at least a week. Should improve quite a bit after a few days. If she were to go blind in one eye she would probably still make it around better than the average polish, and they mostly seem to do ok :)

Thank you guys so much, this being the first time having chickens, my mind jumps to conclusions. Gotta be a careful momma ;) My mother is going to play chicken doctor tonight and help me flush it. I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom