Could my chicken have Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

The bright yellow droppings look like yellow urates, which is a sign of liver failure. That can happen with egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, heart failure and liver disease. The soft puffy crop might be a sign of abdominal pressure where the crop cannot empty normally. Let us know what the vet has to say.

Hi there, unfortunately we decided to kindest thing to do was to put her to sleep. So heartbreaking, poor soul.

She was only about 10 months old so they did not think it was EYP (Egg Yolk Peritoniti), she did not have any swelling or eggs lodged. They examined her and were concerned that it may have been neurogical, possibly liver related (hence the yellow poo), she has not eaten for a week, which is very unusual for chickens. We did not feel it was fair to put her through further tests.

They are sending her body away for a post mortem, we introduced 4 more chickens 3 weeks ago, from the same breeder (they were point of lay about 16 weeks old, and supposed to be vacinated), so thought it best to have the post mortem done to make sure there was nothing untoward going on that may affect the other chickens.

Not a great few days really. 😥

Hi guys, sorry Eggcessive, I've just seen your reply (I've pasted it in below - incase others read this) after I wrote the post, and that ties in with what the vets said, Thanks everyone so much for your help, it's appreciated so much.

The bright yellow droppings look like yellow urates, which is a sign of liver failure. That can happen with egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, heart failure and liver disease. The soft puffy crop might be a sign of abdominal pressure where the crop cannot empty normally. Let us know what the vet has to say.

I was able to find some fish antibiotics that can be shipped to the UK for just an extra fifteen pounds. Not Baytril (Enrofloxacin), but I was able to find Ciprofloxacin which is of the same family class as Baytril and has good coverage against coliforms such as E. Coli which is often found in EYP infections. Here is the link if you care to take a look :

https://www.entirelypets.com/ciprof...0367&cjevent=0cda5dba192411eb80e3006d0a24060c

Regarding her crop, in the morning it should be empty, not full, so the fact that you felt it and it was full suggest there is crop statis going on. Is this being caused by the EYP, possibly, every time I've dealt with crop issues, specifically sour crop, it's been due to infection/ reproductive problems. Personally, if she was mine, I would consider euthanizing since she's not eating, or drinking, shes producing yolk-colored droppings, and the crop isn't moving properly.

You could try treating her, but I'm afraid her system is failing regardless, and while you may be able to keep her alive longer, she's going to pass.

Eggcessive, and Wyorp, have more experience with this than me, so I would wait for their opinion before doing anything.
Aww
I was able to find some fish antibiotics that can be shipped to the UK for just an extra fifteen pounds. Not Baytril (Enrofloxacin), but I was able to find Ciprofloxacin which is of the same family class as Baytril and has good coverage against coliforms such as E. Coli which is often found in EYP infections. Here is the link if you care to take a look :

https://www.entirelypets.com/ciprof...0367&cjevent=0cda5dba192411eb80e3006d0a24060c

Regarding her crop, in the morning it should be empty, not full, so the fact that you felt it and it was full suggest there is crop statis going on. Is this being caused by the EYP, possibly, every time I've dealt with crop issues, specifically sour crop, it's been due to infection/ reproductive problems. Personally, if she was mine, I would consider euthanizing since she's not eating, or drinking, shes producing yolk-colored droppings, and the crop isn't moving properly.

You could try treating her, but I'm afraid her system is failing regardless, and while you may be able to keep her alive longer, she's going to pass.

Eggcessive, and Wyorp, have more experience with this than me, so I would wait for their opinion before doing anything.
I'm very sorry for your loss. We do appreciate you updating us on what happened.
thank you - totally heartbroken 😞

These were her final hours, we had a road trip together 💕 the vets were so lovely, had a little cuddle with her before I sent her over the rainbow 🌈 bridge 💕

Attachments

• 91606540-6B64-4CD0-8C87-5B0A16D99E5A.jpeg
    91606540-6B64-4CD0-8C87-5B0A16D99E5A.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6830948D-F729-465A-9C8D-C74440CE9E02.jpeg
    6830948D-F729-465A-9C8D-C74440CE9E02.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 48F08A3C-B447-4DC8-9605-334F98216CD9.jpeg
    48F08A3C-B447-4DC8-9605-334F98216CD9.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 092A47FD-9454-44BF-B295-34688EA8D948.jpeg
    092A47FD-9454-44BF-B295-34688EA8D948.jpeg