Could my hen be finished laying at only 1 1/2 years old?

homeschooler

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
My largest hen, a black australorp, has been laying for about a year and she lays humongous eggs, twice the size of her sister - almost every day. But, a couple weeks ago, she laid an egg with no shell. Since then, she went from 5-6 eggs a week to 1 a week.

One more thing...... about 6 months ago, she lost her vent feathers and was swollen with poop all stuck to her. I soaked her in some warm water and started giving her powdered probiotics. Her feathers grew back mostly and she kept right on laying, so i didn't worry too much about it. But, those feathers have continued to look a little thinned out with poop always stuck to them. Her droppings do look normal though.

Could she be sick or is this normal for her to not be laying at this age?

By the way, my hens are free range and eat seed that I mix myself with calcium given as free choice. Up until her shell-less egg, I was giving them daily treats of fruits, veggies, cooked grain, protein, sunflower seeds, and egg shells. I've cut out the egg shells and protein just in case those were the problem. she's not really interested in the treats much any more anyway.

Thanks!
Angela

Would she stop laying just because she is molting? One of them is molting and it may be her. What does it mean if she is egg bound? How do I know and how do I treat it?

soft shelled eggs are harder to pass, she would be droopy mabey straining and u need to help her pass it. vasoline around the vent, warm soak up to her butt, some kind of calcium i heard helps, and mabey massage it out being careful not to break it. have fun with that.

Back
Top Bottom